The Student Room Group

Pivoting with an Electronics Engineering Degree

I've managed to line myself up with a fantastic apprenticeship offer studying Electronics Engineering at a local university full time and working in the uni breaks. It pays well and is in a subject that is relatively close to my interests. However I am wondering how easy it is to pivot into software engineering/cybersecuirty with a EE degree, mainly as a backup if I do not enjoy the work I will be doing.

Would I need to get a masters in CS or would the programming experience in the EE degree be good enough along with some personal projects?

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
embedded software engineer
Original post by liam429
I've managed to line myself up with a fantastic apprenticeship offer studying Electronics Engineering at a local university full time and working in the uni breaks. It pays well and is in a subject that is relatively close to my interests. However I am wondering how easy it is to pivot into software engineering/cybersecuirty with a EE degree, mainly as a backup if I do not enjoy the work I will be doing.

Would I need to get a masters in CS or would the programming experience in the EE degree be good enough along with some personal projects?

Any thoughts?

Hey @liam429

Congratulations on the apprenticeship! This experience will be invaluable for whatever you choose to move forward in in the future.

Rather than a masters, you could look into professional certifications? You can study in your spare time, and they'll give you the foundation skills needed to pivot into software engineering or cyber security. Getting certified is often much cheaper and quicker than a masters.

I'm always happy to chat about anything to do with getting certified in these areas, so feel free to ask any questions.

Jenny at Learning People

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending