The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SomeNextPirate
Lol, that makes no sense.

SO you can ONLY be British if your ancestors emigrated to Britain before 1973. From this point on you can -NEVER- be British?

This is why you are a troll.

Why doesn't it make sense?

I don't consider the million poles in Britain as British just because they're white. Do you?

:rolleyes:
jonnosonly1864
I'm going to come to the OP's aid here, because she bloody well needs it. Unfortunately, the views are presented in a bigoted and BNPesque manner. I think instead of wasting everyone's time by slating the OP, we should look to address issues that she (perhaps inadvertantly) raises.

What happened to national pride? Any citizen of the UK can feel patriotic, and should. Black, white, mixed or others are all British these days, and as has been pointed out, the success of our nation over the past millenium is due in part to our bastard nature. Britain is a great country, we should never forget this. We can moan about congestion charges and income tax etc 'till the cows come home, but we should be proud of our country and its achievments. We're a tiny island, yet have in the past controlled 3/4 of the known world. People say we shouldn't be bogged down by nostalgia, but we must remember such glory. Albion, the archaic term for Britain, invokes such pride in me as a descendant of ancesters who perhaps played a part in establishing Britain's greatness. To be regarded as the USA's strongest ally, despite our size, is phenomenal. We are the strongest power in the world in terms of land mass and population. The fact that immigration is booming is a compliment to the steady, responsible and glorious nature of our country. It is not detrimental to society.

The greatest paradox is that immigrants seem to have a greater love for Britain than existing citizens do. Sort this out. Have some pride, fellas.

ITT we eat up BBC propaganda and regurgitate it for all our fellow numb skulls to clap and offer support for.

I guess all indians and africans are really sittign around in knitted sweaters and drinking tea right?

Spoiler

Alright which ******* commie negrepped me for posting a picture of Powell?
Reply 203
IntensityIntegrityIntell
Why doesn't it make sense?

I don't consider the million poles in Britain as British just because they're white. Do you?

What about the ones that came here before 1973?
ms500
No, that wasn't my point. The country has gone to the dogs and is nothing to be proud of.

There are things that this country could improve on, as all countries could.

Just don't say that this country has "gone to the dogs" because some brown and black people have come to the country to try and make themselves better off.
Veil of Maya
You'd be the expert at that from what I've seen.

Expert at seeing through ******** opinions and flase deabte, I know.
jamlan
What about the ones that came here before 1973?

Yes, they're British.

However, you're delusional in thinking that many if any poles came to Britain with the iron curtain still up

Reply 207
This Is Not A Username
There are things that this country could improve on, as all countries could.

Just don't say that this country has "gone to the dogs" because some brown and black people have come to the country to try and make themselves better off.

This isn't just about immigration, though that is part of it.

The leftists in this country hack me off, as do the EU traitors.
Seven_Three

I guess all indians and africans are really sittign around in knitted sweaters and drinking tea right?

Do you? That's not something exclusive to Britain and not something that all British people do.
Seven_Three
ITT we eat up BBC propaganda and regurgitate it for all our fellow numb skulls to clap and offer support for.

Spoiler

i dont quite follow. are you making a point or?
ms500
This isn't just about immigration, though that is part of it.

The leftists in this country hack me off, as do the EU traitors.

Care to elaborate, because at the moment you seem to be spewing ill-informed bile against anyone who doesn't believe your points?
Reply 211
ms500
What happened to mighty England?

You.
Reply 212
IntensityIntegrityIntell
Yes, they're British.

However, you're delusional in thinking that many if any poles came to Britain with the iron curtain still up

The nationality of the white immigrants is irrelevant. Setting such an arbitrary cut off date is bizarre.
jonnosonly1864
i dont quite follow. are you making a point or?

I'm making a point about as much as you were.
button8
I used to be proud of how great we once were, of how we ruled the waves etc. But at the moment I am studying colonialism, which is really making me re-think my views. Our empire wasn't as great as it is made out to have been.

There's a lot to be proud of still.

We have some fantastic countryside, some wonderful sites of protected cultural heritage, a wide diversity of wildlife, some of the most intelligent scientists/researchers/thinkers in the world, we're the origin of some of the best writers/playwrights/poets and musicians in the world and we have some of the best institutions for education and learning in the world, perhaps most importantly we have a cultural and historical heritage that is incredibly diverse due to the different races and cultures that have inhabited this small island over the years.

Stick on top of this some amazing inventions, architecture and breakthroughs in medicine as well as some great sports men/women we have lots of reasons to be a proud country :smile:

Every country has faults, no where is or ever has been perfect.
jamlan
The nationality of the white immigrants is irrelevant. Setting such an arbitrary cut off date is bizarre.

Nationality?

LOL, you've heard of the soviet union right? There wasn't slavic immigration during a period of 50 ish years. Slavs who migrated to the Britain before this period of time i consider British. Those after, NOT
Reply 216
Let's keep the spam, flame-baiting and offensiveness down, guys, or the thread will be locked.
Reply 217
Seven_Three

Spoiler

Oh dear...that's because that's a difference in CULTURE! Immigrants can still feel patriotic about their country.
Vesta
Let's keep the spam, flame-baiting and offensiveness down, guys, or the thread will be locked.

Just lock it. What are you waiting for? A good debate to happen?
Reply 219
IntensityIntegrityIntell
Nationality?

LOL, you've heard of the soviet union right? There wasn't slavic immigration during a period of 50 ish years. Slavs who migrated to the Britain before this period of time i consider British. Those after, NOT
And non Slavs?

Latest

Trending

Trending