Underappreciated and treated unfairly at work

Watch
Ivyreign
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel so dismissed at work by the company chain it’s self not the managers and staff at our restaurant and it’s getting me down. Basically in the past 10 days I’ve worked 52 hours as I’ve finished sixthform which is a big step up from what I was doing.
Breakdown of why I’m upset:
1. This monthly pay I’ve only received my worked hours and not 2 weeks of furlough (didn’t open till 17th) where as others at my work have got this.
2. I’ve worked here for 2 years aged 16 to now. 16 I was on £4.35 doing 12hours a week but well before the second lockdown in nov 2020 I was doing 25hours and before lockdown I turned 18 so pay changed to 6.56. My furlough was not recalculated and I was being paid what I was in the first March to July 2020 lockdown.
3. People who have been working there not long have been getting more furlough than me because they were 18 when they started and were doing around 20 hours where as mine was based off 12 hours on 4.35 from months ago. This one girl has worked there 2 months before the November lockdown and was on more than double furlough than me.
4. I don’t feel the pay difference is fair age wise. This girl is 26 and this woman about 40 who will be on £9 at my work do **** all. They are so lazy and do nothing.
5. I work my arse off every shift I do 10hour shifts on my feet doing 30,000 steps a day. Im sweating at the end of every shift and £6.56 is it’s insulting.
6. My friend does life guarding she sits in an office or at the pool side every day doing a lot less than I do in her role and is getting £12 an hour. I know it’s a skilled job but £12 an hour for a 16 year old is ridiculous. ( im a trained lifeguard too but can’t get a job)

I feel so under appreciated. I’ve been so loyal to this company and feel so ****. This girl who was getting more than double me on furlough I’m still showing her stuff at work and what to do when just before nov lockdown I was doing more hours than her. There’s 3 new people like her that probably got more than me too but she’s the only one that I know for sure what she got.

This post makes no sense and is so grammatically incorrect but I’m upset and angry and Cba to correct it.

I don’t know what to do I’m so down I cry at the end of every shift from exhaustion.

Sorry for the rant guess life ain’t fair
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry to hear your feeling this way.

Can you quit and find another job where you are treated better and the pay is reasonable?
Onion socks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want more money you can try to learn investing if you haven’t yet.
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya! The thread title was changed to clarify what your original post is about.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Didn't you understand the pay and conditions, like the working hours, before taking the job?

Did you know the minimum wage limits are set by the Government, so it's not the company that is being unfair with the pay difference, they are following the law?

Have you spoken with whoever is responsible for pay and shown evidence that you are owed money?

Have you spoken with management about training procedures, if you find your colleagues are lacking?
PStevens
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
I feel so dismissed at work by the company chain it’s self not the managers and staff at our restaurant and it’s getting me down. Basically in the past 10 days I’ve worked 52 hours as I’ve finished sixthform which is a big step up from what I was doing.
Breakdown of why I’m upset:
1. This monthly pay I’ve only received my worked hours and not 2 weeks of furlough (didn’t open till 17th) where as others at my work have got this.
2. I’ve worked here for 2 years aged 16 to now. 16 I was on £4.35 doing 12hours a week but well before the second lockdown in nov 2020 I was doing 25hours and before lockdown I turned 18 so pay changed to 6.56. My furlough was not recalculated and I was being paid what I was in the first March to July 2020 lockdown.
3. People who have been working there not long have been getting more furlough than me because they were 18 when they started and were doing around 20 hours where as mine was based off 12 hours on 4.35 from months ago. This one girl has worked there 2 months before the November lockdown and was on more than double furlough than me.
4. I don’t feel the pay difference is fair age wise. This girl is 26 and this woman about 40 who will be on £9 at my work do **** all. They are so lazy and do nothing.
5. I work my arse off every shift I do 10hour shifts on my feet doing 30,000 steps a day. Im sweating at the end of every shift and £6.56 is it’s insulting.
6. My friend does life guarding she sits in an office or at the pool side every day doing a lot less than I do in her role and is getting £12 an hour. I know it’s a skilled job but £12 an hour for a 16 year old is ridiculous. ( im a trained lifeguard too but can’t get a job)

I feel so under appreciated. I’ve been so loyal to this company and feel so ****. This girl who was getting more than double me on furlough I’m still showing her stuff at work and what to do when just before nov lockdown I was doing more hours than her. There’s 3 new people like her that probably got more than me too but she’s the only one that I know for sure what she got.

This post makes no sense and is so grammatically incorrect but I’m upset and angry and Cba to correct it.

I don’t know what to do I’m so down I cry at the end of every shift from exhaustion.

Sorry for the rant guess life ain’t fair
I live by ‘If you don’t like your environment, change it.’

Sorry to hear you’re so unhappy...... time to find another job. No job is worth staying at if you end up crying and feel exhausted.

Always good to set yourself up elsewhere before leaving a paid job as it brings in the money. If, however, money isn’t an issue then leave the job that is causing you so much unhappiness.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Did you know the minimum wage limits are set by the Government, so it's not the company that is being unfair with the pay difference, they are following the law?
The law is not "you must only pay your staff minimum wage".

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AbandonedA...restricted.gif
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Find a new job then quit, you can work elsewhere and be paid your worth, not the absolute bare minimum.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The law is not "you must only pay your staff minimum wage".

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AbandonedA...restricted.gif
No, but the OP is complaining about the wage difference and that older staff are being paid more; they should understand that there is nothing wrong with what the company is doing.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but the OP is complaining about the wage difference and that older staff are being paid more; they should understand that there is nothing wrong with what the company is doing.
It isn't illegal but it is still wrong.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP is doing the same job for a significantly lower wage.
Since when does legal always equate to fair?
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Op, it might be time to start looking for a new job. Some companies do pay young people fairly.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Onion socks)
If you want more money you can try to learn investing if you haven’t yet.
Yeah, just put the last of of what little money you do have into stonks, no way that can go wrong
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
It's not unfair.

(Original post by DiddyDec)
It isn't illegal but it is still wrong.
What is being done wrong? We haven't got all the info from the OP.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Where does it say they are doing the same job?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Where does it say they are doing the same job?
It is the same job and people who are 5 years older than be getting £3 more an hour than me when those people are lazy and do a lot less work than me is wrong on so many levels. I’ve changed my attitude at work. I care less about as do many others which will only lead to a decline in the company’s performance but non of us there care we are just a number to them. “Minimum wage minimum effort” I’m putting more of that effort into my studies for university next year. Until then I will continue to work at minimum effort until we are paid what we deserve.

Btw the law is a guide line and is the bare minimum for the easiest jobs out there. A job as hard and as physically demanding as this deserves more pay.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Its unfair but legal, get over it.

Its a shame that some employers interpret the Minimum Wage as the Maximum Wage but the rates are in the public domain, get over it.

You may deserve more pay on a moral and political level but companies only have to operate within the law, not to employees feelings.

Your decision to be less reliable and efficient in retaliation is immature.

You feel under appreciated so the best course of action would be to find an employer who appreciates you. And sort out your damaged pride.
lol.yolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you think there has been an error in what you were payed, contact your manager/payroll to get it fixed.

If you're not happy with the pay your job offers or the work you have to do, look for a job that pays a living wage rather than minimum. Many supermarkets pay £8-9 an hour. I know the demand for jobs is high right now but there's no harm in spending your free time looking for another job.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Its unfair but legal, get over it.

Its a shame that some employers interpret the Minimum Wage as the Maximum Wage but the rates are in the public domain, get over it.

You may deserve more pay on a moral and political level but companies only have to operate within the law, not to employees feelings.

Your decision to be less reliable and efficient in retaliation is immature.

You feel under appreciated so the best course of action would be to find an employer who appreciates you. And sort out your damaged pride.
Umm I “got over it” as you can clearly read in my updated post I don’t need you to tell me that thanks and my response is not immature at all the well known saying “you get what you pay for” applies to companies and how well they treat their employees. My pride is not damaged and I know my worth is more than what my employer pays me. My just going to call them out it’s Greeneking and the job role is too much for minimum wage therefore I’ve lowered my effort. I’m moving to university in September so no point in looking for a job in my current city as I’ll be gone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
14.95%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
32.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.64%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.65%
I think it's an unfair expectation (75)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1%

Watched Threads