haanee123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am currently a final year college student, I am in my last few weeks of college, trying to complete all my course work and assignments. I have been offered a place at the University of Leeds for Education, which I am very happy about as it is the university which I wanted to go to. From a young age, I have always said that I want to do teaching and education. I wanted to teach abroad. However, recently I have been looking into different areas that relate to the course that I am currently studying (Childcare and education Level 3) and decided that maybe I would find something like child nursing really interesting too. I’m in a really tough situation because I have been accepted at Leeds to study education, which is what I wanted but the more I look into child nursing the more it intrigues me. I don’t want to lose the opportunity of going to my dream university. I’m not really sure what to do, please advise!
Thank you
Advertisement
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think about taking a gap year.
Ask Leeds now if you can defer your place until 2022 entry (you have far more chance of a Yes at this stage than in August).

This will give you a year to think about what you really want to do, to get some general 'child' work experience, some focussed hospital/medical experience and think about the reality of nursing children etc. Just be aware that Child Nursing is tough emotionally - and getting onto any Nursing course is highly competitive and many people get no offers. Extensive, relevant, work experience and the ability to reflect on it is key to any Nursing application.

If at the end of your gap year you are still happy with education then your place at Leeds awaits you. If by Christmas you realise that Child Nursing is your direction then you still have time to dump your current application and reapply for Child Nursing.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nursing is an exempt degree. You can always study an entire BA/BEd in education and then get full funding to follow it up with a second degree in child nursing (or a shorter postgraduate pathway). The opposite isn’t true if you study child nursing (assuming you get an offer - it’s one of the most competitive courses because it’s such a challenging career and a lot of applicants apply without understanding that) as a first degree.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agreed on a gap year. Why education as opposed to a more standard degree and then move to teaching?

Nursing is very accessible once you’ve graduated so you certainly won’t have closed that option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads