The Student Room Group

mums partner moving in

Hi I have applied for student finance for starting Uni for 2021-22. This has been awarded to me based on my mums earnings through living on her own during 2020-2021. Her partner plans to move in during September 2021. Do I need to tell student finance and will it effect my award?
Original post by sparky50
Hi I have applied for student finance for starting Uni for 2021-22. This has been awarded to me based on my mums earnings through living on her own during 2020-2021. Her partner plans to move in during September 2021. Do I need to tell student finance and will it effect my award?

Hello!

Student finance is means tested according to the year prior. So you do not need to update student finance as they will not take this year into account. This means it will not affect your loan this year.

However, in your second year, your mum's partner's earnings will be taken into account and it is likely that your award will go down from the year prior.

I hope this helps!
Lydia :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello!

Student finance is means tested according to the year prior. So you do not need to update student finance as they will not take this year into account. This means it will not affect your loan this year.

However, in your second year, your mum's partner's earnings will be taken into account and it is likely that your award will go down from the year prior.

I hope this helps!
Lydia :smile:

Hi Lydia
Thank you for clarifying. He hasn't moved in yet and won't be until September. I was told that I still needed to let SFE know when he moves in by somebody else so I am glad I got a second opinion. So basically I only tell them he has moved in on my next years application?
Original post by sparky50
Hi Lydia
Thank you for clarifying. He hasn't moved in yet and won't be until September. I was told that I still needed to let SFE know when he moves in by somebody else so I am glad I got a second opinion. So basically I only tell them he has moved in on my next years application?

You may wish to ring them and let them know for full clarity on both of your parts.

However, his earnings won't be taken into account and you will be able to include it on your form for second year finance.

No problem!
I have responded to your previous thread. Please avoid creating duplicate threads.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending