Turn on thread page Beta

Would People Know You Have Joined the LGBT Soc? watch

keep anon for personal reasons

If at uni you were to join the LGBT society, would other people know you are part of the society. Were would the society meet up??

come on all you gays, give me all the info about LGBT societies that there is!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a member, but I know the LGBT society meet up in the usual places like the union bar and local clubs. Its not any different from all the other socities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoBean)
    I'm not a member, but I know the LGBT society meet up in the usual places like the union bar and local clubs. Its not any different from all the other socities!
    Eek, the quote in your profile is from One Tree Hill! :yep:

And OP, I'd imagine people would know you've joined. It's not like a requirement for all gays mind

No, it isn't like there is a group of LGBT-hunters ... smelling the guys perfume trail ... hehe
    nobody cares at uni (in the nice way) whether you are gay or not.

Lots of non-LGBT people go to LGBT events: a friend of mine pulled her boyfriend at an LGBT ice-breaker. People may know, people may not know, though I suspect many people do not really care. However, if you are wondering whether people would find out or not, maybe you should consider it more, as it may be a sign of some sort of internal indetermination.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes photos appear on facebook under the title "LGBT social!" or something.

I went to the icebreaker in 1st year, I doubt anyone would have found out if I hadn't mentioned it though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but you know most of the universitys have african, asian societys etc, would I be able to set up a society for whites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Walletjes)
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but you know most of the universitys have african, asian societys etc, would I be able to set up a society for whites?
    :troll:

If you don't want to be out your LGBT Society will respect that decision. They will always ask for permission before taking photos that would appear on facebook. Obviously the LGBT society will go to gay clubs so you are extremely unlikely to see any of your straight friends there, and there is no need for you to go to the pubs/cafes if you're worried about being seen, but obviously location is likely to change for different events so you'll be able to choose where to go.
    Your name will not be given out to anybody, so no, nobody else would know you had joined the society, and the society will e-mail you so there is no need to join any facebook group.

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude)
    :troll:
    Umm, im not a troll? I was just wondering the other day while I was walking around freshers farye.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it was compared to african and asian societies, it would be a society for Europeans, no? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Well, if it was compared to african and asian societies, it would be a society for Europeans, no? :p:
    I suppose it would have to be called that, but the intention would be for whites only:

With aims to promote the heritage culture as well as the tradition of the white race. To gather and to take care of the welfare of the white students in University and to maintain contact with other white students in the UK. The society aims to serve as a channel to voice opinions and difficulties faced by white students in University.

If it were non-discriminatory, yes, though I'm sure the Guardian reading dictators of your relevant Student Union will object to it. Afro and Asian societies are open to non-blacks and -asians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    No, it isn't like there is a group of LGBT-hunters ... smelling the guys perfume trail ... hehe
    nobody cares at uni (in the nice way) whether you are gay or not.
    I don't know - at my old uni (which I've now dropped out of), there was a group of crazy rightwing Christian swines who went round ripping down LGBT posters/adverts for events etc. etc. :rolleyes:

J

ReputationRep:
    Most universities are predominantly white!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If it were non-discriminatory, yes, though I'm sure the Guardian reading dictators of your relevant Student Union will object to it. Afro and Asian societies are open to non-blacks and -asians.
    yes they are open to them, but do they actually join them?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it would have to be called that, but the intention would be for whites only:

With aims to promote the heritage culture as well as the tradition of the white race. To gather and to take care of the welfare of the white students in University and to maintain contact with other white students in the UK. The society aims to serve as a channel to voice opinions and difficulties faced by white students in University.
    you see, that wouldn't be allowed.
    Prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    Most universities are predominantly white!

give it 30 years and they won't be

ReputationRep:
    No, obviously not :rolleyes:: white people haven't been repressed for years and haven't had they're history and culture trampled on and wiped from the history books. Whites don't suffer from discrimination.

Are you the kind of person who comes out with lines like:

'Where's the white history month?' (October in Black history month, btw)

'Why can't we have a men's officer?'

'When are the straight pride marches?'

J

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2008
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.