Greek GCSE Literature Translation

Watch
200emabro
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I realise this is very obscure but does anyone who is doing The Isle of the Blest in Greek GCSE know what the translation of this is?

"
οὑτω μεν πινουσιν, αντι δε των στεφανων αἱ ἀνδονες και ἀλλα τα ὀρνεα ἐκ των πλησιον λειμωνων τοις στομασιν ἀνθολογουντα κατανειφει αὐτους μετ' ᾡδης ὑπερπετομενα
"

It's lines 47-50 in the text. We did a translation in class but honestly it doesn't make sense.

Thanks
unplayable
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"So on the one hand they drink, but instead of garlands, the nightingales and other (musical - you seem to have omitted this word when copying the Greek) birds from the nearby meadows, picking flowers with their mouths, sprinkle them like snow as they fly overhead with songs"

Attached is an interlinear translation of the whole text that my teacher gave us, but more helpfully an analysis of each section in the notes. I also presume you've found OCR's newly published question packs for Greek? I believe that everything the teachers can put on your exams can be found there (unlike most other subjects), but I'm not too sure. Hope this helps!
Attached files
Last edited by unplayable; 1 month ago
200emabro
Rep:
?
(Original post by unplayable)
"So on the one hand they drink, but instead of garlands, the nightingales and other (musical - you seem to have omitted this word when copying the Greek) birds from the nearby meadows, picking flowers with their mouths, sprinkle them like snow as they fly overhead with songs"

Attached is an interlinear translation of the whole text that my teacher gave us, but more helpfully an analysis of each section in the notes. I also presume you've found OCR's newly published question packs for Greek? I believe that everything the teachers can put on your exams can be found there (unlike most other subjects), but I'm not too sure. Hope this helps!
Hi, thanks a lot for your reply and for the attachment. No, I haven't found the question packs but I'll check it out.
unplayable
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualification...erials-finder/

Select GCSE, then Classical Greek, then download the Zip file provided. Lucian is Prose Literature B.
200emabro
Rep:
?
(Original post by unplayable)
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualification...erials-finder/

Select GCSE, then Classical Greek, then download the Zip file provided. Lucian is Prose Literature B.
very helpful thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads