The Student Room Group

Driving an automatic for the first time

I've only ever driven petrol cars with manual gearboxes since I passed my test many years ago.

I've never driven a diesel car, not have I driven an automatic.

Tomorrow I have a test drive of a diesel car with an automatic gearbox. Is there anything I should know in advance as to how driving will be different (apart from obvious things like an automatic car has no clutch)?
Nope, it's easy peasy.

Just know these things:

1) PRNDL - commonly the abbreviations for Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Low-Range (or sometimes just 1 and 2). Self explanatory really. You go into Drive if you want to drive, Park if you are parking. Always stay in Drive at a stop light.

2) Beaware that on most automatic cars, the car will always slightly move forward (or backwards) in Drive and Reverse gears, even if you aren't pressing the accelerator. So always hold your foot on the brakes if you're at a stop. (And for safety reasons).

That's about it really. Good luck, once you drive auto, you'll never want to go back to driving manual.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Always stay in Drive at a stop light.

Why? :confused: Seems to me that taking the car out of gear when at a stop eliminates all the worries of problem 2 also?

OP - Don't try and change auto gears while the car is moving, it'll go nuts :tongue: you need to be stopped and depressing the brake in the manner of a clutch to change gear settings.
Original post by StriderHort
Why? :confused: Seems to me that taking the car out of gear when at a stop eliminates all the worries of problem 2 also?

OP - Don't try and change auto gears while the car is moving, it'll go nuts :tongue: you need to be stopped and depressing the brake in the manner of a clutch to change gear settings.

Constantly changing from drive to neutral every time you stop just wears out your transmission faster, plus it's also bad if you need to drive off all of a sudden. Reason being you'll be holding up traffic waiting for the gear to change, and you also run the risk of pressing the accelerator pedal and revving the engine while the gear is still changing, risking your transmission.

Only change to neutral when you know you're going to be stopped for a long time. The fuel savings are negligible for most stops anyway.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Constantly changing from drive to neutral every time you stop just wears out your transmission faster, plus it's also bad if you need to drive off all of a sudden. Reason being you'll be holding up traffic waiting for the gear to change, and you also run the risk of pressing the accelerator pedal and revving the engine while the gear is still changing, risking your transmission.

Only change to neutral when you know you're going to be stopped for a long time. The fuel savings are negligible for most stops anyway.

I think this sounds a bit OTT tbh, these issues are caused by sheer carelessness rather than changing gear imo. Needing to move off that fast or pressing wrong pedals etc. Both of these would cause problems for a careless manual driver too but it's not because they've taken the car out of gear.
I drive an automatic and never put my car in N unless i will be waiting quite some time as when the car is in D it’s constantly trying to move so keeping your car in drive for quite some time while stationary is just going to damage your transmission I would assume.

Another thing people do is put the car in park while waiting at lights, I never do that and I’m pretty sure if you’re on a slant and only thing holding your car is the gearbox that’s going to strain it and also if you’re hit from the rear or something while in park it’s going to smash your gearbox to bits but since owning an automatic I have never once put my car in N and just leave it in D unless parked then P, pretty straight forward lol.

Only time I would use N is if I brake down or sat waiting at lights or something for a good amount of time but I would always put it in N with handbrake.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by martin7
I've only ever driven petrol cars with manual gearboxes since I passed my test many years ago.

I've never driven a diesel car, not have I driven an automatic.

Tomorrow I have a test drive of a diesel car with an automatic gearbox. Is there anything I should know in advance as to how driving will be different (apart from obvious things like an automatic car has no clutch)?

Its easier imo, it does take an adjustment. I remember it feeling weird not using my left foot when coming to a stop but you'll adjust quickly.

Diesels can be a little more torqy at low rpm but again its nothing difficult to adjust to.

I suspect within a couple minutes you'll think its remarkably simple to use an auto.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending