The Student Room Group

In this situation, am I still expected to take part? (Doctors only)

-Medical registrar, on annual leave, but came to hospital anyways to write-up and work on my long-neglected research paper.

-Working in usual office, there’s a room across from where I am working when I overhear a commotion among the nurses. A patient was crashing and had arrested. I am the closest doctor and despite being on leave, I walk out of the office and actively participate in the resus effort.

-Colleagues see me in hospital and ask me what I was doing there on annual leave.

I was wondering, in this situation, if it was appropriate for me to actively participate in the resus? I’m technically on leave, but at the same time I am in the hospital and I am a doctor so I decided to jump in since I was the nearest one.
Original post by Anonymous
-Medical registrar, on annual leave, but came to hospital anyways to write-up and work on my long-neglected research paper.

-Working in usual office, there’s a room across from where I am working when I overhear a commotion among the nurses. A patient was crashing and had arrested. I am the closest doctor and despite being on leave, I walk out of the office and actively participate in the resus effort.

-Colleagues see me in hospital and ask me what I was doing there on annual leave.

I was wondering, in this situation, if it was appropriate for me to actively participate in the resus? I’m technically on leave, but at the same time I am in the hospital and I am a doctor so I decided to jump in since I was the nearest one.

I mean, if you're physically the closest doctor there and it's very obviously an emergency, what else can you do?
Surely you just deal with the emergency and hand it over as soon as possible (you would hope another doc would be there soon!)
It's your choice but I imagine most docs would get involved yeah. You could exception report for the overtime/time I lieu if you wanted.
I'd go over and make sure initial management is being initiated - CPR, oxygen, getting the pads on. The nurses really should have the training to do this without a doctor standing over their shoulder.

By the time that is done likely the first doctor would have arrived.

Then quietly slink back into the office having hopefully done nothing :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending