Essential reading for university.

Watch
Bkentfield
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The university I plan on going to in September has essential reading lists for each module. However, the books are really expensive and I can't afford to buy them all in one go.

Does anyone know if the modules listed on the uni's course page are in the order they will go in when you start?
juststu-dying
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me it depended. Does it maybe say anywhere? It didn't say on the homepage for me, but there's a separate site/page at my uni that does have all the information; it generally says when they are offered (in my case, if it's a full semester, it's 1 or 2, or otherwise 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b if it's only a block). Also - are you required to buy them, because in some cases they might be available through the library?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Also some unis have second hand sales from students who have graduated. It could be worth it to check that out for books.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bkentfield)
The university I plan on going to in September has essential reading lists for each module. However, the books are really expensive and I can't afford to buy them all in one go.

Does anyone know if the modules listed on the uni's course page are in the order they will go in when you start?
Hi,

The modules on the website are not always in the order they would be taught. I think the best thing to do is contact the faculty hub or someone who manages your course at your university and ask them the order that modules will be taught in.

Also, if you cannot buy all the books, you can also have a look in the library catalogue at your university to see if they have the books recommended in essential reading. I have always found it better to borrow books from library first, read them and then decide if it is worth buying the book. If I find that I may not require a book in the long run as it is not for a topic that I see myself having a career in, then I do not buy it and just borrow it from the library to study for that module. But that can differ from course to course I guess.

Hope that helps.

Dhruvika
University of Hull Student Rep
Bkentfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by juststu-dying)
For me it depended. Does it maybe say anywhere? It didn't say on the homepage for me, but there's a separate site/page at my uni that does have all the information; it generally says when they are offered (in my case, if it's a full semester, it's 1 or 2, or otherwise 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b if it's only a block). Also - are you required to buy them, because in some cases they might be available through the library?
Thank you for your response.

It says on the main course page what is taught in the year and in what semester. For example, for year 1 it has 2 modules in semester 1, 2 modules which are year-long and 1 module that runs across the 3 years. I may have to email the uni and ask if they will run module by module, or if they will be in conjunction with each other. I am doing mental health nursing, so I can only assume there will be practical alongside the modules and not just theory.

No, I don't have to buy them, but if I borrow them I can only have them for a certain amount of time; which is fine if the course is module by module, not so much if it's course long. Also, I like to highlight and write all over books. I have had a look online and have found them cheaper, however I hadn't thought about graduates old books. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have a look at what I can find
Bkentfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi,

The modules on the website are not always in the order they would be taught. I think the best thing to do is contact the faculty hub or someone who manages your course at your university and ask them the order that modules will be taught in.

Also, if you cannot buy all the books, you can also have a look in the library catalogue at your university to see if they have the books recommended in essential reading. I have always found it better to borrow books from library first, read them and then decide if it is worth buying the book. If I find that I may not require a book in the long run as it is not for a topic that I see myself having a career in, then I do not buy it and just borrow it from the library to study for that module. But that can differ from course to course I guess.

Hope that helps.

Dhruvika
Thank you for replying

I haven't started uni yet, so I don't have a library log in or membership. I have, however, checked my local library and they don't have any of them. I was thinking of running into Waterstones and browsing through them there. Except for the anatomy colouring book, I know that's my kind of learning :lol:!

I'm going to email the uni and ask what order the modules go in, but also if there is any 'before uni' essential reading, rather than module-specific. That may help save some money.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for replying

I haven't started uni yet, so I don't have a library log in or membership. I have, however, checked my local library and they don't have any of them. I was thinking of running into Waterstones and browsing through them there. Except for the anatomy colouring book, I know that's my kind of learning :lol:!

I'm going to email the uni and ask what order the modules go in, but also if there is any 'before uni' essential reading, rather than module-specific. That may help save some money.
Hi Bkentfield

It may be worth having a browse at something like "The Study Skills Handbook" by Stella Cottrell. I found it quite useful over the past few years to dip into, but then I had been out of Education for 40 years! I am sure there are probably other similar publications out there too!

Best of luck

Chris
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Are there any university facebook freshers groups you can join? I found that a lot of second/third years sold their old books in these types of groups when I first joined and I bagged quite a few bargains.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Hi there,

Does your university have an online library, where the textbooks are available to you online for free? I saved so much money reading the essential reading this way, and because it was all online I could access them anywhere. Try e-mailing the university's library to see if they offer a service like this - because it's definitely worth it!

Ana
University of Liverpool rep.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I set up alerts on eBay got the books and then made offers when they appeared.
I also quite often bought an older version of books. 90% does not change and my law course told me about new laws /cases anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads