User_2804122826
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi everyone!
I am trying to find out more about what a Material Science degree is as there isn't much info online.
So if anyone is doing Material Science can you please let me know what sort of things you cover and career prospects?
Thanks
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeK2FaoQ/

Check out this guy on tik tok, he does materials science and engineering at imperial
User_2804122826
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thank you!!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
They can vary a fair bit, depending if they focus more on the engineering side or the science side There is a fair bit of overlapping core content though. The mechanics of materials and thermal properties of materials are pretty universally covered, and usually at least some crystallography will be covered even in an engineering focused course. Although I suppose both sides will consider phase diagrams, I feel like they might be more of a focus for engineering courses in terms of certain "key" materials (the iron-carbon phase diagram for example you'll probably become very familiar with in more engineering oriented courses!).

For "science" oriented courses, or some engineering focused courses that are more focused on electronic engineering applications, the electronic and optical properties of materials (including semiconductor properties) will be covered, and you might do some more formal statistical mechanics and solid state physics. On engineering focused courses there is often more relating to material failure/fracture mechanics and materials selection for engineering purposes, which often relates to aspects of manufacturing engineering (e.g. production of steels, how annealing/cold rolling/etc work).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads