The Student Room Group

How compulsory is general studies?

I was wondering is anyone's school has a compulsory general studies policy - I tried to drop it, but was told that this would be impossible.

My reasons are, I think, pretty much justified - I have an offer from Oxford, and I need to get As in all four subjects this year :eek: :eek: , and our school will only let people do four A2's if one of them is further maths (as mine is), so I am already in the minority of people who have virtually no frees. So, two extra frees a fortnight would be very welcome. Art is really time-consuming, and on top of my Alevels I'm doing a degree module with Lancashire University (sorry, don't mean to sound pretentious :p: )

I have to take both my AS and A2 general studies in the summer, because I did critical thinking last year, and I don't want to have to do six papers over four days of my study leave. And, finally, I have had five offers from good unis and all of them specifically say general studies is excluded.

I told my teacher all this, but she won't budge... :frown:

Rant over. I just wanted to know whether the school can justifiably make people do subjects they dont want to - if necessary I'll sit the exams, but not unless I have to.
Reply 1
scatterbrain
I was wondering is anyone's school has a compulsory general studies policy - I tried to drop it, but was told that this would be impossible.

My reasons are, I think, pretty much justified - I have an offer from Oxford, and I need to get As in all four subjects this year :eek: :eek: , and our school will only let people do four A2's if one of them is further maths (as mine is), so I am already in the minority of people who have virtually no frees. So, two extra frees a fortnight would be very welcome. Art is really time-consuming, and on top of my Alevels I'm doing a degree module with Lancashire University (sorry, don't mean to sound pretentious :p: )

I have to take both my AS and A2 general studies in the summer, because I did critical thinking last year, and I don't want to have to do six papers over four days of my study leave. And, finally, I have had five offers from good unis and all of them specifically say general studies is excluded.

I told my teacher all this, but she won't budge... :frown:

Rant over. I just wanted to know whether the school can justifiably make people do subjects they dont want to - if necessary I'll sit the exams, but not unless I have to.

I told my school where to stick general studies as i was in a pretty similar situation as i was taking 4 A levels(all science) and was applying to vet school. General studies is definitely not recognised for vet med and it would be a waste of time for me to have done it. Luckily i had a very understanding teacher who said that at as i had A* at GCSE including in re, sociology, science and english i didnt need to do it. My other teacher then had a strop about not doing it as he said i needed to sort my priorities (he didnt seem to realise general studies wasnt one of them!)
If they really wont listen just dont turn up to the lessons! You dont have to be submitted for the exam (although i think you have to go to the RE bits as it is compulsory for the government) :secruity:
Reply 2
our school didnt do it.
Reply 3
I think it pushes up the school in laegue tables, or something along those lines. Seeing as it's really just an exam without a course anyway, I can understand why they want as many people as possible taking it.
My school used to make us do General Studies and Key Skills, but now General Studies isn't even offered anymore and only people without A*-C in English and maths have to do Key Skills. At the local FE college, Key Skills is still compulsory for everyone, but General Studies has been made optional. If getting your parents to phone or write a letter to the school doesn't work, just don't go to the lessons. They probably won't enter you for the exams, and if they do, either don't turn up to them either or just sit them anyway. Everyone says you can get an A without doing any work, so one extra A wouldn't hurt, and if you completely screw it up, it doesn't matter anyway. You can't lose :biggrin:
Reply 5
Its not that anyone would chase me up for not going to lessons, its more that I'd rather pull out of the exam - and the year group is entered in bulk. So i have to just get myself removed from the list, or I'll have a U on my certificate which I want to avoid, even if it is for purely asthetic reasons.

I'm think, if all else fails, a short and sweet fait acompli letter ( :aetsch: )There can't be much they can do about it. Out of interest, did anyone else have to sign a home-school agreement type thing?
Reply 6
The ONLY reason schools push it, is because its gives them extra points for the league tables, and the students have to do practically no work. And more importantly, the governments regards it as a proper A-level, so each student that does it helps the school generate about £1000pa.

I should be doing GS, and key skills, but I basically never turned up to the lessons in either. Its a waste of my time, and It will not benefit me in anyway.
Dont let the school push your around. You are not obligated to do anything.
Reply 7
SinghFello
The ONLY reason schools push it, is because its gives them extra points for the league tables, and the students have to do practically no work. And more importantly, the governments regards it as a proper A-level, so each student that does it helps the school generate about £1000pa.

hang on. let me get this straight. they take our tuition fees and top up fees, and give it to people to do a pointless subject?
Reply 8
SinghFello

I should be doing GS, and key skills, but I basically never turned up to the lessons in either. Its a waste of my time, and It will not benefit me in anyway.
Dont let the school push your around. You are not obligated to do anything.

Yeah, i think the reason they like us to have it is because our school prides itself on shoving the yearly pass rates down our throats at every available opportunity, and makes a big thing of all its students doing at least one full Alevel (for those doing GNVQs and all that).

Round two commences tomorrow. If they still wont negotiate I'll just have to tell them I have dropped it, and thats that. If I'm feeling brave.
Reply 9
My college makes you do General Studies in the second year unless your are doing 4+ A Levels in which case you don't have to do it
Reply 10
We are all obliged to sit the exam, but although going to lessons was "compulsory" i think i was the only one who continued to do so for the entire year. (i had a free and then GS so i never had anything to occupy me).
Reply 11
Some colleges/schools make general studies compulsary. If you do it, there's no harm on doing it. Most uni's don't accept it though. I find that quite unfair.
Its compulsory in my college. I do think its a bit pointless to be honest, as long as you can write fairly well and have a good general knowledge you won't have a problem getting a good grade. I just didn't attend about 50% of my lessons for the first module last year and i got 100% in it along with about 9 of my friends. Keep trying, they should let you out of the lessons, its stupid to keep you in there. Take the exams though, a bright student such as yourself should breeze through them and its an extra A-level, no matter how pointless.

Latest