The Student Room Group

Pivoting with an Electronics Engineering Degree

I've managed to line myself up with a fantastic apprenticeship offer studying Electronics Engineering at a local university full time and working in the uni breaks. It pays well and is in a subject that is relatively close to my interests. However, I am wondering how easy it is to pivot into software engineering/cybersecurity with a EE degree, mainly as a backup if I do not enjoy the work I will be doing.
Would I need to get a masters in CS or would the programming experience in the EE degree be good enough along with some personal projects?Any thoughts?
Original post by liam429
I've managed to line myself up with a fantastic apprenticeship offer studying Electronics Engineering at a local university full time and working in the uni breaks. It pays well and is in a subject that is relatively close to my interests. However, I am wondering how easy it is to pivot into software engineering/cybersecurity with a EE degree, mainly as a backup if I do not enjoy the work I will be doing.
Would I need to get a masters in CS or would the programming experience in the EE degree be good enough along with some personal projects?Any thoughts?

EE is probably the best non-cs/ce degree that you can do to become a software engineer.

How you pivot also really depends on what area of software engineering you are looking to go into - electronics engineering would be great if you were looking to do languages like C/C++/C#. The mathematics content would also be helpful if you were to do data science/AI or any kind of work with matlab.

If you are on the embedded systems engineering apprenticeship or just doing the ee degree, you are pretty much set up to be a software engineer using C variation languages or a hardware engineer using hardware languages (such as VHDL).

If you wanted to go into AI/ds you likely would need a masters degree in data science or cs.

If you wanted to go the backend software engineering route you would probably need to master in software engineering or computer science.

If you wanted to become a frontend/ux/ui engineer, you could probably do a certification and go straight into the role with your current degree.

But this does not mean that you wouldn't be able to get into some great software engineering job positions with just a bachelors in ee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending