Year 13s: Have universities given you all the help you need?

Watch this thread
Poll: Year 13s: Have universities given you all the help you need to get ready for uni?
Yes, I don't need any more help (30)
9.26%
Mostly, but I'm still unsure about some things (111)
34.26%
Not really, there's lots I don't know (137)
42.28%
Not at all (46)
14.2%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Year 13s - this one's for you!

I know lots of you will be in the midst of confirming your choices at the moment.

I've heard from a few Year 13s recently that they thought universities could have done more in terms of equipping them with all the help they needed to make their choices. They talked about information, but also experiences, opportunities to get involved, etc.

I was just wondering what you think?

Are there things you wish you'd been given by unis to help you?

Are there things you still hope they give you before Results Day?

P.S. I'm presenting at an event to loads of university teams later this month, so I will pass on your feedback so they can hopefully help you more.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I feel like I haven’t had the opportunity to sample university life if that makes sense, I know some universities used to do sample lectures on open days and taster days for offer holders which sounds really interesting. All the events I’ve done have focused purely on information rather than experiences so I feel like I know the universities but I can’t picture what it will be like for me to be there.

I would like an opportunity to talk to someone about module choices before freshers week so I can better prepare for what I’m going to study or just have a little more certainty. I suppose module selection is less of a problem on less broad degrees (I’m planning on doing natural sciences).

Another thing that I think could be helpful/interesting would be to see what assessments/coursework at degree level looks like. I’d quite like a reading list for the summer or some sort of activity to complete before starting university.
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Name:  download.png
Views: 25
Size:  18.6 KB
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
I feel like I haven’t had the opportunity to sample university life if that makes sense, I know some universities used to do sample lectures on open days and taster days for offer holders which sounds really interesting. All the events I’ve done have focused purely on information rather than experiences so I feel like I know the universities but I can’t picture what it will be like for me to be there.

I would like an opportunity to talk to someone about module choices before freshers week so I can better prepare for what I’m going to study or just have a little more certainty. I suppose module selection is less of a problem on less broad degrees (I’m planning on doing natural sciences).

Another thing that I think could be helpful/interesting would be to see what assessments/coursework at degree level looks like. I’d quite like a reading list for the summer or some sort of activity to complete before starting university.
Such a good point about those university experiences. I bet that's been one of the more challenging parts of this pandemic, not getting to really feel a sense of your potential new uni before you go there. You're not alone in feeling like that, I've heard a few people saying the same. I'll pass on your feedback!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads