Mimi Dienes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My son has not got his favoured choices for accommodation and only offered trafalgar. Reviews not great. Looking at Stanhope but not sure. Any ideas or recommendations pls as we don’t know what to do.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mimi Dienes)
My son has not got his favoured choices for accommodation and only offered trafalgar. Reviews not great. Looking at Stanhope but not sure. Any ideas or recommendations pls as we don’t know what to do.
I'm also a parent, not a student and I've just replied on another thread about Trafalgar which was one of the halls we visited a couple of years ago. To me it didn't look too bad, although not the most modern. I can't say I've read any reviews about any of the halls as I think you tend to mostly hear about the bad things and I think all halls will have had someone with a bad experience. Trafalgar is one of the cheaper halls though but not sure if that is due to "comfort" level, location or something else. I personally preferred its location over the "Guildhall" halls.

Have you spoken to the Portsmouth student accommodation team about other options available to you? I suspect that you would have to either accept Trafalgar or go for a private room elsewhere (either in another "halls" type building - eg Stanhope or a house share). Are you able (or have you been) to visit Portsmouth in person, or more specifcally Trafalgar halls?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mimi Dienes)
Hi! Mimi Dienes

Trafalgar recently got refurbished in the past year or two. This included new modern kitchens, a refurbished washroom, and introducing double beds. So I suspect the reviews are out of date.
I've been at Portsmouth for 3 years now and I've personally not heard of any issues. Friends I knew who lived there had little problems and when they did have minor issues maintenance fixed this almost immediately. They also say it was one of the halls best value for the price.
It's right above a coop, so is really convenient. And the furthest uni building is about a 15-minute walk away, so everything is close. The uni bus stop is also right outside if you would like to travel further into Southsea.
Everyone has space in the kitchen, giving a draw in the freezer, a shelf in the fridge, a bottom cupboard, and a top cupboard. The kitchens are also pretty spacious too, with a large sofa and dining area.

Stanhope is not one of the University halls and is privately owned. This means issues there aren't protected by the university as much. They are also studio flats, which means you'll be living alone, but that depends on personal preference. Stanhope is also more expensive.

I lived in Rosalind Franklin in my first year. I found it to be really good.
Social life was good as there are 2 large courtyards and a social room with a pool table and sofas, as well as a study room. Also, some of the flats you could look out and see how long the ques were to one of the main clubs in Portsmouth, so you knew when the best time was to head down and go out.
The room is spacious and lots of storage. The ensuite was a basic washroom, but fitted for purpose and worked well (personally it was just nice to have your own washroom).
it's right next to some uni buildings, so you don't have to walk far. The furthest uni building was a 10-15 minute walk away. The station and other main club is a 5-minute walk away and shops and supermarkets are a 10-minute walk away.
Maintenance was always good. If you log it on the app for the halls they would more or less come and fix the issue the next day. The app was really useful as it notified you when washing machines and tumble dryers were free to use and when your washing was ready, as well as notifying you when you had a parcel to collect. (Trafalgar has this app too as it is the same company).

If you would like to change or like more guidance email [email protected] and they will be able to provide you with some more detail about halls in Portsmouth. They are really helpful, as I had a similar issue about changing halls in my first year (due to price).

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.3%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (57)
30.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (9)
4.89%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
26.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed