Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have an admit for anthro at LSE and I am an international student coming from a middle class family in a low income country. I haven't been able to secure any financial assistance and as a last resort I am now being forced to mortgage our house and sell off a few family asset to fund my education. My stay and tuition fee is going to be ridiculously high and I can practically not afford it but I am thinking of going to take extreme measures of using up hard earned family resources. But is it all really worth a MSc degree ? Will I as an international student have the scope to secure a good job in UK and earn well enough to compensate all the financial loss my family is going to face by funding me? I am a first generation learner and nobody in my family has had a post graduate level education and never gone abroad to study. It is a very big deal for me to get an admit in LSE and it would bring a major social and educational upliftment for me if I am able to go to LSE.
But is it really worth taking extreme financial measures for funding an education at LSE?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really doubt a masters from LSE is worth that much. Especially as the anthropology masters courses there are probably mainly research preparation courses for those likely to go on to do a PhD. If you want to work in some big name company or some financial services role I'm not sure it's really going to mean that much compared to a more relevant masters for those fields (from LSE or other unis).
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
If you work hard and do well a postgraduate degree at LSE should get you a £30k+ job - you could then pay back £5k a year to your parents etc and you'll have paid off your debt within 8 years or less. Any extra money from pay rises could go towards paying it back earlier.

However, as with any degree, you need more than just a qualification to get a job. Make sure you're prepared to network with students and practice interview and communication skills.

My advice I always give, is that your degree can get you to the door of your interviewer, but from there your personality and confidence needs to seal the deal.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Will the programme help with your career choices?

If not, then I don't think it's worth attending.

You could also apply next time. You got in this time so I'm pretty sure that you will get accepted next time.

Maybe you can also look at some alternatives - consider looking for a job here in the UK first. Maybe you'll love your job and think otherwise about pursuing postgrad.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an admit for anthro at LSE and I am an international student coming from a middle class family in a low income country. I haven't been able to secure any financial assistance and as a last resort I am now being forced to mortgage our house and sell off a few family asset to fund my education. My stay and tuition fee is going to be ridiculously high and I can practically not afford it but I am thinking of going to take extreme measures of using up hard earned family resources. But is it all really worth a MSc degree ? Will I as an international student have the scope to secure a good job in UK and earn well enough to compensate all the financial loss my family is going to face by funding me? I am a first generation learner and nobody in my family has had a post graduate level education and never gone abroad to study. It is a very big deal for me to get an admit in LSE and it would bring a major social and educational upliftment for me if I am able to go to LSE.
But is it really worth taking extreme financial measures for funding an education at LSE?
Hey Anon, I don't think it's worth all that to be honest. Unfortunately with a degree in Social Sciences you won't be primed for a good job in the UK market and may have to resort to low income non-skilled jobs to pay bills. I would encourage you to do it if you received funding but without that, it isn't really worth it to put your whole family in financial peril. Have you applied for the LSE LMAs? Maybe you will get some funds from the school.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anonymous#1
If you are unsure about an institution and the reliability of their qualifications there a few things you can do;

1) Firstly, look for objective signs of the quality of the program. Higher Education institutions are watched over by the QAA (a bit like Ofsted for H.E), there will be a report available online with regards to the quality of the institution

2) Secondly, check that you can get a loan from the Student Loan Company for their - this validates the credentials of the institution. The course will also be registered with OFQUAL.

3) Thirdly, look at student testimonials of studying that course. It must be noted that most testimonials are either really positive or really negative (you see this with product reviews on Amazon and TripAdvisor etc)

An online provider might be an interesting option for you, they usually have a flexible approach to teaching and you can do the course over a longer period of time which stretches out the course payments - why not check out some of the MSc programs at Arden University? https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/qualification/masters

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey Anon, I don't think it's worth all that to be honest. Unfortunately with a degree in Social Sciences you won't be primed for a good job in the UK market and may have to resort to low income non-skilled jobs to pay bills. I would encourage you to do it if you received funding but without that, it isn't really worth it to put your whole family in financial peril. Have you applied for the LSE LMAs? Maybe you will get some funds from the school.
Do people get LMA's? I got rejected for GSS financial aid. I thought LSE only support first world students, since they would only need small amount as assistance. I have managed to get 18000 pounds on my own. I still need 19000 pounds to take up LSE. I really dont think LSE would give any support. They seem really cold to students with larger financial needs.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do people get LMA's? I got rejected for GSS financial aid. I thought LSE only support first world students, since they would only need small amount as assistance. I have managed to get 18000 pounds on my own. I still need 19000 pounds to take up LSE. I really dont think LSE would give any support. They seem really cold to students with larger financial needs.
Have you looked elsewhere for a cheaper course outside London?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Have you looked elsewhere for a cheaper course outside London?
yeah I also have an offer at Institute of Development Studies, Sussex. Brighton. Its way cheaper...I am just sceptical, should I let go of LSE and all that prestige that comes with it and take up IDS.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah I also have an offer at Institute of Development Studies, Sussex. Brighton. Its way cheaper...I am just sceptical, should I let go of LSE and all that prestige that comes with it and take up IDS.
LSE isn't known for Anthro so go elsewhere ... maybe look at other unis ?
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
IDS is #1 in the world. IDK why you wouldn't want to go there especially since you can't afford LSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.71%
Excited but a bit nervous (114)
45.42%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.15%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise