Shafxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! Does anyone on here do psychology and can give me a few tips on how to revise issues and debates and integrate them into other topics like social influence and memory please ? TIA xx
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Issues and debates are one of those topics you kinda just need to learn unfortunately and be able to apply. The more you attempt to apply the better you become!

Social influence you can use nature vs nurture and also alpha and beta bias due to the research being mainly on men.

Memory you can also use alpha and beta bias due to research on men as well as reductionism in some cases.

Attachment has a big one for cultural biases including ethnocentrism etc also can have nature vs nurture and also arguably some of the theories like the theory of maternal deprivation is very deterministic.
Shafxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Wannabevet133)
Issues and debates are one of those topics you kinda just need to learn unfortunately and be able to apply. The more you attempt to apply the better you become!

Social influence you can use nature vs nurture and also alpha and beta bias due to the research being mainly on men.

Memory you can also use alpha and beta bias due to research on men as well as reductionism in some cases.

Attachment has a big one for cultural biases including ethnocentrism etc also can have nature vs nurture and also arguably some of the theories like the theory of maternal deprivation is very deterministic.
Thank you ! This really helped I was also looking for specific examples like milgrams study has beta bias etc ?
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shafxx)
Thank you ! This really helped I was also looking for specific examples like milgrams study has beta bias etc ?
Yes! So basically all the social influence have beta bias.

The studies by Milgram, Asch and Zimbardo on social influence involved no women participants. They wanted to find out about human behaviour and assumed that studies with men could be generalied to both men and women. Milgram did a later study on obedience in women and found that obedience rates were equally as high as those for men. However an Austrailian study found that women were much less obedient than men (16% rather than 40%) however these contradictory findings may be due to the fact that in Milgram’s study females gave males shocks whereas in the Austrailian study females were required to give other females the electric shocks.
Hofling at al studied obedience in female nurses and found that obedience rates were equally as high as those for men in Milgram’s study. This is still an example of beta bias because the findings were generalized to all humans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (52)
26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.5%

Watched Threads