Barry2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wanted to read some business/management books that are good to put on my personal statement when applying for uni (I plan to study business and management) any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have never read a business book in my life and got accepted to all my business management courses

:P
Barry2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
I have never read a business book in my life and got accepted to all my business management courses

:P
Would you mind saying what the general sort of points were that you covered when writing yours? Thanks
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Barry2004)
Would you mind saying what the general sort of points were that you covered when writing yours? Thanks
By no means did I get into super prestigious universities, just to name a few Lancaster and York so my advice may not be the best..

But I did include my liking for IT (something which would make my application hopefully more unique to all the other B&M application

I also included my work experience (which happened to be in a business environment where I learned from an actual manager)

Finally another cool think I put into it was my favourite business articles
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Barry2004)
I wanted to read some business/management books that are good to put on my personal statement when applying for uni (I plan to study business and management) any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Hi Barry2004 ,

I studied Business and Management at the University of York, so thought I might be able to help you out with this. It's great that you are so interested in reading up and you'll probably find that you're asked to read some of these books at university anyway, so you'll be one step ahead! It's also worth thinking about your own personal interests within this subject and really showcasing this in your personal statement e.g. consumer behaviour.

Business & Management reading list:
- The Big Short by Michael Lewis (Financial Crisis)
- Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin (Financial Crisis)
- Consumer.ology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping by Philip Graves (Consumer Behaviour)
- Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers by Bridget Brennan (Consumer Behaviour)
- The Age of Influence: The Power of Influencers to Elevate Your Brand by Neal Schaffer (Social Media)
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight (Marketing)
- That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix by the first CEO and co-founder Marc Randolph (Marketing)
- Grinding It Out: The Making Of McDonald's Mass Market by Ray Croc (Marketing)
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (Management)
- Inclusify by Stefanie Johnson (Management and Diversity)
- Diversity, Inc.: The Fight for Racial Equality in the Workplace by Pamela Newkirk (Management and Diversity)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with Also, feel free to check out our Business and Management courses here at York. You can study these with a placement year or study abroad option.

Many thanks,

Laura
Graduate Ambassador at the University of York
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.53%
Excited but a bit nervous (116)
45.85%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.04%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed