Desperately Need Some Econ Help.. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm currently struggling through my Maths unit for Economics and was after some help if anybody could

I'm caculating Price Elasticity of Demand using calculus (partial differentials etc.)

The following question has me stumped..

"Calculate the PED for each of the following demand functions at Q = 100, 500, 900.

i) Q = 1800 - 0.0P
ii) P = 60 - 0.5Q

Any help most appreciated
bluebird
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Explain the question better.
danmint
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:confused: You're gonna need change in price also...
Splinter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i may be wrong here but you can work out P by using Q. If Q is 100, then P = 60 - 50 = 10.

Otherwise, i still dont get what you are asking, can you try and better explain the question
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
use the formula delta Q over delta P multiplied by 1 over slope!
petemc246
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sophdoph)
I'm currently struggling through my Maths unit for Economics and was after some help if anybody could

I'm caculating Price Elasticity of Demand using calculus (partial differentials etc.)

The following question has me stumped..

"Calculate the PED for each of the following demand functions at Q = 100, 500, 900.

i) Q = 1800 - 0.0P
ii) P = 60 - 0.5Q

Any help most appreciated
Surely Q is always equal to 1800 in the first part, as it's 0.0 times P, which = 0. unless the question is written down wrong. if the actual question is true as it stands, then i) is perfectly inelastic as there is fixed demand of 1800, regardless of price, so the PED is (-) infinity.
Btw, i don't actually study economics and have never covered the above, this is all just a guess from maths.
Lucky number 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
P.E.D = P / (mQ), where P= price, Q= output and m= gradient.

Calculate the gradient of each curve by differentiating (will mean to have each function in terms of P = .....)
you must then put Q into the equation of the differenitial to get the gradient at that point. Then put P, Q and m into the above equation.

Easy, hope this helps
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks for the help..had to hand ages ago unfortunately. Finally worked it out, was quite badly worded and things..
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1373)
79.55%
Leave (353)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise