sh1591
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I am considering a degree in diagnostic radiography (other healthcare sciences are also an option) for 2022 and wanted some advice.

At 30 with my own home and a job moving away isn't really an option, I have a DipHE from a previous degree when I was younger but never finished the full degree due to illness. This had quite a bit of anatomy involved so I don't know if this would give me any kind of head start? Have seen an online Radiography diploma course whether that would be worth doing? Also planning on popping into my local hospital to ask them for advice but if anyone can give me some ideas that would be great!
notsmartenough45
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and thinking of applying for radiography. My school suggests trying to shadow someone who works in a hospital to get a feel of it. I also heard from people on student room that they ask for skills which are key skills in the nhs like compassion. Honestly if you have any tips on work experience I could do for radiography that would be a big help
Good Luck!!!!!
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sh1591)
Hello I am considering a degree in diagnostic radiography (other healthcare sciences are also an option) for 2022 and wanted some advice.

At 30 with my own home and a job moving away isn't really an option, I have a DipHE from a previous degree when I was younger but never finished the full degree due to illness. This had quite a bit of anatomy involved so I don't know if this would give me any kind of head start? Have seen an online Radiography diploma course whether that would be worth doing? Also planning on popping into my local hospital to ask them for advice but if anyone can give me some ideas that would be great!
Different unis have different requirements. I would contact your local uni that you are planning on attending and ask them about their entrance requirements are. They may require you to do an access course first.

I would also check their placement sites and that you can placed in a hospital close to your home.
notsmartenough45
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HellomynameisNev)
Different unis have different requirements. I would contact your local uni that you are planning on attending and ask them about their entrance requirements are. They may require you to do an access course first.

I would also check their placement sites and that you can placed in a hospital close to your home.
hi...would you have any ideas for work experience that would look good for an undergraduate course at uni
HellomynameisNev
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by notsmartenough45)
hi...would you have any ideas for work experience that would look good for an undergraduate course at uni
I got mine in before Covid hit luckily. We know a sonographer at our local hospital so she got me the phone number of the head of diagnostic radiography and I rang him up and asked if I could come in for some work experience. He asked me a few questions about why I wanted to do it and then arranged for me to come in for a couple of days.

It was different for my Therapeutic Radiography work experience - that had to be arranged through the university and I had to fill out a 9 page form for it which really brought home the serious nature of radiotherapy! I ended up choosing Radiotherapy, but I know for people applying now who haven't been able to get work experience that SHU do an online webinar which they count as work experience, knowing that departments aren't willing to let prospective students in with the current restrictions

Generally they're looking for experience in dealing with people and members of the public. On my personal statement I talked about stuff like having to deal with people when I was a supervisor and support them through personal problems like illness and bereavement. Obviously if you're not a mature student it's a bit harder. So I would look at what kind of experiences with people you have in and out of school, things like school council or a part-time job etc. Or where you've had to work as part of a team like in a school play.
Last edited by HellomynameisNev; 1 month ago
Tianax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The anatomy from your previous course will definitely help out a bit as there is a fair bit of anatomy involved in radiography. As with most healthcare courses, the admissions teams in most unis that offer radiography look for work experience on applicants personal statements but I don't think that would be majorly taken into account right now since most people probably won't have been able to get work experience because of covid. In your personal statement, I would advise talking about how things like the combination of medical physics and person centred care interests you as it shows you have researched the course and how you are interested in putting the needs of others before your own. I would also try back this up by experiences you may have had such as volunteering, babysitting, having a job basically anything where you help others. I've just finished my first year of this course and loved it so much so highly recommend and good luck on your application
dope_hana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got mine in before Covid hit luckily. We know a sonographer at our local hospital so she got me the phone number of the head of diagnostic radiography and I rang him up and asked if I could come in for some work experience. He asked me a few questions about why I wanted to do it and then arranged for me to come in for a couple of days.

It was different for my Therapeutic Radiography work experience - that had to be arranged through the university and I had to fill out a 9 page form for it which really brought home the serious nature of radiotherapy! I ended up choosing Radiotherapy, but I know for people applying now who haven't been able to get work experience that SHU do an online webinar which they count as work experience, knowing that departments aren't willing to let prospective students in with the current restrictions

Generally they're looking for experience in dealing with people and members of the public. On my personal statement I talked about stuff like having to deal with people when I was a supervisor and support them through personal problems like illness and bereavement. Obviously if you're not a mature student it's a bit harder. So I would look at what kind of experiences with people you have in and out of school, things like school council or a part-time job etc. Or where you've had to work as part of a team like in a school play.
If I was to ring up m local radiographers/sonographers to ask for work experience/ shadowing what would I say? and who would I ring, would I just ring the reception of that place?
hannahbbk134
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sh1591)

At 30 with my own home and a job moving away isn't really an option, I have a DipHE from a previous degree when I was younger but never finished the full degree due to illness. This had quite a bit of anatomy involved so I don't know if this would give me any kind of head start? Have seen an online Radiography diploma course whether that would be worth doing? Also planning on popping into my local hospital to ask them for advice but if anyone can give me some ideas I’m just trying to figure out whether it late or early entry
Does this have to be in by October or January? Sorry I’m just trying to figure out if it’s late or early entry
hannahbbk134
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I’m also interested in this course and was wondering (I’m in Year 12 btw) if I was to find the WEX on my own during summer maybe? Or the university will provide? I’m not sure.. also is it late or early entry
HellomynameisNev
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahbbk134)
I’m also interested in this course and was wondering (I’m in Year 12 btw) if I was to find the WEX on my own during summer maybe? Or the university will provide? I’m not sure.. also is it late or early entry
Like I said earlier, I would contact the Uni and ask them. At SHU for diagnostic radiography you have to organise it yourself, for therapeutic radiography you have to go through the uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (50)
6%
Uncertainty around my education (96)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (85)
10.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.47%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (41)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.4%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (92)
11.03%
Financial worries (57)
6.83%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (53)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (80)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (66)
7.91%

Watched Threads