Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone,
I'm Daisy, a second-year (starting 3rd-year in September) History student at the University of Southampton!

I thought I'd say hi and create a thread where you can ask any questions you might have about the History course at Southampton or about the uni itself. Just comment below and I'll get back to you! Image

Here's a little bit about me to get the ball rolling:
  • I am most interested in early North American history but have done modules in everything from the history of retail therapy to ancient apocalyptic texts
  • My favourite food is chocolate cake
  • I am part of several societies at the uni, including magazines and a musical theatre society
  • My favourite animal is a shark

Please feel free to comment any questions below Image You can also check out my post in the general history applicant thread if you'd rather ask there or if someone else has asked a question similar to you Image

Daisy (an official University of Southampton rep) Image
Debranoel01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is the biggest difference between history at A level and university history?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Debranoel01)
What is the biggest difference between history at A level and university history?
Hi Debranoel01

Thanks for your question!

I'd say the biggest difference between studying history at university and at A-Level is that at university you have much more independence and freedom. By this I mean that at university you have the choice to decide what kind of history you want to study, instead of sticking to strict A-Level syllabuses that are pre-selected by teachers you can pick your own modules at university (and in your final year you will choose your own dissertation question), meaning you can decide exactly what you want to learn about within the module choices. Before joining the University of Southampton I had been restricted to studying 20th century European history but now I'm at uni I have been able to gain a much wider range of historical knowledge.

Another thing that comes with these greater studying freedoms is that you will be expected to do a lot more independent study at university compared to A-Levels. Of course you will always receive guidance on how you can study independently at uni (for example the University of Southampton gives students reading lists of recommended books for each history module) but it will be up to you what kind of reading you will do. I'll reassure you that independent studying at university is not scary at all, even if it sounds a little daunting, and from my experience at the University of Southampton the staff have always been willing to give advice and provide extra tips on how to study independently if you want advice.

Please let me know if you find this helpful or if you want any more information about what studying history at university is like, I'm actually studying Joint Honours history myself (I'm an English and History student), so I can also provide a unique insight if you're considering studying history jointly with another subject too.

Are you planning on studying at university this year or in the future?

Anna
2nd Year English and History student
Debranoel01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks
Lily_45
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi everyone,
I'm Daisy, a second-year (starting 3rd-year in September) History student at the University of Southampton!

I thought I'd say hi and create a thread where you can ask any questions you might have about the History course at Southampton or about the uni itself. Just comment below and I'll get back to you! Image

Here's a little bit about me to get the ball rolling:
  • I am most interested in early North American history but have done modules in everything from the history of retail therapy to ancient apocalyptic texts
  • My favourite food is chocolate cake
  • I am part of several societies at the uni, including magazines and a musical theatre society
  • My favourite animal is a shark

Please feel free to comment any questions below Image You can also check out my post in the general history applicant thread if you'd rather ask there or if someone else has asked a question similar to you Image

Daisy (an official University of Southampton rep) Image
What are more theoretical aspects of the History course like ‘Historiography’ like? They look really interesting but I’m a bit nervous about applying to a degree where I haven’t done anything like that before? What kinds of thing do you study in that part of the course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads