The Student Room Group

I wanna do dentistry can anyone share their stories (if you have offers/are in uni)?

Hi, i want to do dentistry and am applying this year! hopefully, i will do well in my ucats. My predicted grades are around AAB. I really want to go to Sheffield! it's like my dream uni! i am not the smartest i guess and I just wanted to hear stories of people that have offers or is doing dentistry.At times I don't feel good enough but I have a huge passion and am willing to take the risk and apply!
I haven't sat my official exams (for yr 12) yet so I could get AAA... I don't think it's wasting a choice tbh, I have done intense research and I know what unis I can apply to in any circumstance. I have applied strategically so that I have a higher chance of getting in, plus not all dental schools put a heavy weighting on academia they might look at ucats and personal statement more. i know that ill have to score relatively high on ucats so I will do as much as I can to do well. Plus AAB isn't that bad, there are programmes that allow you to get an offer with lower grades (which i happen to be part of)
Yeh thats true thanks!
Sheffield only accept AAB if you do an EPQ in a relevant subject - is this your plan?
If you think you’re eligible for widening participation, make sure to carefully check each university’s criteria as they’re different.

As for the stories you want to hear, what do you want to know?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Sheffield only accept AAB if you do an EPQ in a relevant subject - is this your plan?
If you think you’re eligible for widening participation, make sure to carefully check each university’s criteria as they’re different.

As for the stories you want to hear, what do you want to know?

Thanks for the advise, I am doing something similar to EPQ, but I'm not planning on doing one. #
I just wanted to hear stories about applying for dentistry or how the degree etc.
Original post by ANOYNOMUS786
Hi, i want to do dentistry and am applying this year! hopefully, i will do well in my ucats. My predicted grades are around AAB. I really want to go to Sheffield! it's like my dream uni! i am not the smartest i guess and I just wanted to hear stories of people that have offers or is doing dentistry.At times I don't feel good enough but I have a huge passion and am willing to take the risk and apply!

Hey!
If Dentistry is your passion then you will find a way to do it, even if it's not the route you initially planned!
Firstly you need to be smart about where you apply, have a look at the different universities and if you don't meet their minimum requirements, unfortunately they will most likely reject you. Sometimes if you had an offer and slightly missed it they might still give you the place however, if you don't meet their initial requirements to begin with then that's unlikely. Something that's worth looking into is a contextual offer, universities may lower their offer for you if you meet their requirements (e.g. live in a certain area).

Here's a tool that may help you compare different dental schools:
https://www.medicmind.co.uk/dental-school-comparison-tool/

Good luck with your UCAT, let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind
Hi, I applied for dentistry this year and I have an offer for dentistry at Newcastle so feel free to ask me about any parts of the application process.
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey!
If Dentistry is your passion then you will find a way to do it, even if it's not the route you initially planned!
Firstly you need to be smart about where you apply, have a look at the different universities and if you don't meet their minimum requirements, unfortunately they will most likely reject you. Sometimes if you had an offer and slightly missed it they might still give you the place however, if you don't meet their initial requirements to begin with then that's unlikely. Something that's worth looking into is a contextual offer, universities may lower their offer for you if you meet their requirements (e.g. live in a certain area).

Here's a tool that may help you compare different dental schools:
https://www.medicmind.co.uk/dental-school-comparison-tool/

Good luck with your UCAT, let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind

Thanks!
Original post by hungrysalamander
Hi, I applied for dentistry this year and I have an offer for dentistry at Newcastle so feel free to ask me about any parts of the application process.

Thats great, congratulations!
Original post by ANOYNOMUS786
Thanks!

No problem at all :smile:

Good luck with your application!

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind
Also, I forgot to mention that I was rejected from Sheffield pre-interview so make sure that your personal statement contains all the points on Medic Mind's website for sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest