The Student Room Group

S6 choices, is a lack of free periods an issue?

Hello, I'm currently in S5 and I'm looking for a little advice on my subject choices for next year.

I have decided to take AH maths, AH physics, (crash) H chemistry and H English.

My guidance teacher has advised against this as I will only have 2 free periods, while other students I know who are taking a mix of highers and advanced highers will have as much as 12. I know I could decide against crashing H chemistry, but I really want to take it.

If anyone else had a similar lack of free periods in S6, did you find it difficult? was it too much work?

Scroll to see replies

If you really want to take it, take it imo.when there's a will there's a way lol. You'll make it work.
Reply 2
I done 2 AH and 2 Highers this year and got 6 free periods, I don’t think I ever done any revision or work during those free periods and if I did it was very minimal due to the amount of noise and people talking. So honestly I don’t think only having 2 would be much of an issue and youll probably be more likely to do course work or revision during them because you have less.
Original post by Ototot

youll probably be more likely to do course work or revision during them because you have less.

Did you do any coursework/assignments this year in AH? It is looking like the modifications to this year's courses will continue into 2021-2022 session.
Reply 4
Original post by BlackLab
Did you do any coursework/assignments this year in AH? It is looking like the modifications to this year's courses will continue into 2021-2022 session.

Yeh I had to do my modern studies and history dissertation. it was optional this year to do it but my teachers said it was a good piece of evidence to give to the SQA I imagine it was the same for most schools and teachers. Sciences did not do their projects as it would have Been extremely difficult to conduct in these circumstances . My teachers decided to do the dissertations quite late in the year so I only had about 2 months to write my modern studies and history one, but they have acknowledged that there was many issues with this year and the ability to complete a dissertation that would be of the same standard or other years. Due to library’s being shut etc which limited the amount of the research. I imagine although course work will be again “optional” it is very highly recommended by the SQA that it is an amazing piece of evidence as it is the one thing that truly stands out in comparison to higher so I’d maybe expect to do one next year unless you are doing science AH. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
How will you only have 2, though? Maybe your school does it differently but you can take up to 6 subjects so 4/6 would’ve left students at my school 10 free periods a week.

Free periods are definitely something you want a decent amount of to give you a lot of time to work on advanced highers. And you’ll need higher English for applying to uni on most counts so higher chemistry could hold you back
Original post by Ototot

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, I am going into S6 this year doing AH Maths, AH Physics, crash Higher Geography, Higher PE.

For AH we get one column free (6 periods) and also I believe each AH has 6 periods and not all are contact time. I assume this is normally because of the amount of time needed for project work and independent study. If we are not doing projects I wonder how the courses will look, I chose PE as some light relief from two AH and a crash thinking I could really get into the AH physics project and crash H geography assignment and now wondering if we won't need time for these if I should try something more stretching then PE.

We never did any science assignments at higher either so if we don't do again there is a big gap in learning this skill going to uni. Even if it wasn't marked doing your dissertation, even partially, will be great experience for when you go to uni. I am disappointed if we won't do the physics project. Hopefully there will be clarity before the summer holidays.

wildreun, I am crashing Higher geography this year but only because I did it in up to S3 and have heard most of the content is new at higher (other than map reading skills which I can study over summer and I also plan to read through the rest of the nat5 course - using a study guide and scholar - so I have some knowledge). I did Higher chemistry this year and found it really built on and relied a lot on the content and knowledge taught at nat5, if you know this and are really committed to doing it go for it, have you looked into the course content and planned how you are going to crash without the nat5 knowledge?
Reply 7
Thanks, I am going into S6 this year doing AH Maths, AH Physics, crash Higher Geography, Higher PE.

For AH we get one column free (6 periods) and also I believe each AH has 6 periods and not all are contact time. I assume this is normally because of the amount of time needed for project work and independent study. If we are not doing projects I wonder how the courses will look, I chose PE as some light relief from two AH and a crash thinking I could really get into the AH physics project and crash H geography assignment and now wondering if we won't need time for these if I should try something more stretching then PE.

We never did any science assignments at higher either so if we don't do again there is a big gap in learning this skill going to uni. Even if it wasn't marked doing your dissertation, even partially, will be great experience for when you go to uni. I am disappointed if we won't do the physics project. Hopefully there will be clarity before the summer holidays.

wildreun, I am crashing Higher geography this year but only because I did it in up to S3 and have heard most of the content is new at higher (other than map reading skills which I can study over summer and I also plan to read through the rest of the nat5 course - using a study guide and scholar - so I have some knowledge). I did Higher chemistry this year and found it really built on and relied a lot on the content and knowledge taught at nat5, if you know this and are really committed to doing it go for it, have you looked into the course content and planned how you are going to crash without the nat5 knowledge?

Loads of people crash a subject without doing it at nat5 or ever. I think they find it ok as most of the higher information is new and everyone is learning it for the first time although having some background knowledge is good but not needed in my opinon. Honestly i think projects could go ahead next year but with the uncertainty of local lockdowns and stuff it’s very confusing so I hope the SQA is far more prepared this year but that’s extremely unlikely with their track record as this year was a shambles. I only had 1 non contact period for both my AH although they are essay based a lot of my friends who done sciences had no non contact periods it was all with a teacher. So in normal years I imagine the people who are doing AH sciences would do there projects during their free periods because that’s the only time they really had to do it.
Reply 8
Original post by cchloepx
How will you only have 2, though? Maybe your school does it differently but you can take up to 6 subjects so 4/6 would’ve left students at my school 10 free periods a week.

Free periods are definitely something you want a decent amount of to give you a lot of time to work on advanced highers. And you’ll need higher English for applying to uni on most counts so higher chemistry could hold you back

At my school we have a total 32 periods a week, 30 of these are available for the subjects you choose to study. Most advanced highers take up 8 periods a week and highers take up six, so that leaves me with 2 periods free. Perhaps your lessons are shorter? Mine are all 50 minutes.

I am thinking that I'll have to do a lot of studying outside of school, though since I've picked subjects that I enjoy I'm hoping I won't mind too much.
Reply 9

Yeah I have heard that Higher chemistry relies quite a bit on knowledge from N5. I bought myself a N5 chemistry textbook a few months ago and I have looked at it a little since, but I plan to study it more over the summer. I do tend to pick things up quickly and school being shut has made me realise that I'm quite good at teaching myself, so I'm hoping I'll be familiar enough with N5 by the time school starts again.

Good luck with geography
Original post by wildreun
At my school we have a total 32 periods a week, 30 of these are available for the subjects you choose to study. Most advanced highers take up 8 periods a week and highers take up six, so that leaves me with 2 periods free. Perhaps your lessons are shorter? Mine are all 50 minutes.

I am thinking that I'll have to do a lot of studying outside of school, though since I've picked subjects that I enjoy I'm hoping I won't mind too much.

oh no, your school is just weird lmao.

At my school all subjects, nat 5s, highers, and advanced highers take up 5 periods a week.

What student needs 8 periods of an advanced higher a week? That’s mental. Most schools here do 4 periods of advanced highers and the 5th is a more relaxed study period to catch up on the work if necessary or answer questions, write essays, etc.
Reply 11
Original post by cchloepx
oh no, your school is just weird lmao.

At my school all subjects, nat 5s, highers, and advanced highers take up 5 periods a week.

What student needs 8 periods of an advanced higher a week? That’s mental. Most schools here do 4 periods of advanced highers and the 5th is a more relaxed study period to catch up on the work if necessary or answer questions, write essays, etc.

Ah okay, that is strange. I didn't think there would be as big a difference between schools. Though If your school is managing fine to teach advanced higher in 4 periods a week, I'm guessing that a few of the 8 periods will just be in class study periods. Now that I think about it, that might be because my school doesn't really have a designated study space, so unless a classroom is free you'd have a hard time finding a place to study outside of class.
Original post by wildreun

We have the same as you 32 periods of 50 minutes each, had out timetable confirmed over the last 2 days:

3 AH Maths contact
3 AH Maths non-contact/study
3 AH Physics contact
3 AH Physics non-contact/study
6 H PE (1 will be classroom)
6 H Geography
6 Free Study periods
1 PSE
1 Duke of Edinburgh

Our AH Physics class started with 5 of us yesterday. Today we are down to 4 and another one is thinking about dropping out as they got a B for Physics and a C for Maths and they are a bit worried about it. So it might just be me and my two best mates in the class :biggrin:. AH Maths is only 12 pupils.

Don't understand how you can have 8 periods of contact time per AH. Ours is a low performing school so not many pupils in each class and I suspect they can't afford the teachers for so few pupils! Do you have large AH classes?

Also heard a 1/4 of the AH English students have dropped out after their introduction and they found out what will be required of them for AH.
Reply 13
We have the same as you 32 periods of 50 minutes each, had out timetable confirmed over the last 2 days:

3 AH Maths contact
3 AH Maths non-contact/study
3 AH Physics contact
3 AH Physics non-contact/study
6 H PE (1 will be classroom)
6 H Geography
6 Free Study periods
1 PSE
1 Duke of Edinburgh

Our AH Physics class started with 5 of us yesterday. Today we are down to 4 and another one is thinking about dropping out as they got a B for Physics and a C for Maths and they are a bit worried about it. So it might just be me and my two best mates in the class :biggrin:. AH Maths is only 12 pupils.

Don't understand how you can have 8 periods of contact time per AH. Ours is a low performing school so not many pupils in each class and I suspect they can't afford the teachers for so few pupils! Do you have large AH classes?

Also heard a 1/4 of the AH English students have dropped out after their introduction and they found out what will be required of them for AH.

I was given my timetable this week too, apparently I have only 6 periods per advanced higher but I haven't a clue when that was changed, it was definitely 8 when we had the online subject choice assembly a few months back. All 6 will still be contact periods as far as i'm aware but at least I have some more free periods than I initially thought.

Our AH classes are larger than yours but not by much, we never have more than one class with AH students in it. I think there are 10 students taking AH Physics this year, though since our school doesn't have many Physics teachers the class will be a mix of Higher students and those of us taking AH. A class of 3 sounds great! I was looking forward to having some smaller classes this year so i'm a bit miffed that i'll still be in a class of 30. AH Maths is currently at 23 students but we only started to get our grades on Friday so that might change.

Have you started following your new timetable already? Until the summer we are only showing up to the classes we are continuing with in S6, so anyone taking a crash Higher won't start being taught until August.
We had first double period physics today and that's it for this week the rest are study periods but nothing to study yet. They recommended a couple of books to buy.

We've had 2 periods of maths ah and have started on that.
Reply 15
They recommended a couple of books to buy.

Could I ask which books? I was given the BrightRedBooks AH Physics textbook.
(edited 2 years ago)
There were 3 books by Peter Burnett he said he thought were indepth and good if we wanted extra books for reading, but he said we didnt need the assignment/project one as there probably wont be one again this year. They are a bit pricey for both and I've been warned by my parents I better use them this time 🤣

I've got the brightred one earlier as it was the only one I could see before he mentioned these two. There is a How to Pass one due out in October I think.
Reply 17
There were 3 books by Peter Burnett he said he thought were indepth and good if we wanted extra books for reading, but he said we didnt need the assignment/project one as there probably wont be one again this year. They are a bit pricey for both and I've been warned by my parents I better use them this time 🤣

I've got the brightred one earlier as it was the only one I could see before he mentioned these two. There is a How to Pass one due out in October I think.

Oh I haven't heard of the Peter Burnett books before, the BrightRed one was the only one I had seen online too. I might keep an eye out for that How to Pass book. Thank you!
Lol I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually studied during a free period so I think you’ll be ok
Original post by thepunmaster.e
Lol I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually studied during a free period so I think you’ll be ok

Everyone is different, I need to study to get my grades. Getting it done in school means I don't need to do as much outside school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending