Yyyyyyyi
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
so I read that an ions (single or groups of atoms) are charged particles but ionic compounds have an overall charge of 0 so whatt am i getting wronggg????
infamouBx
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Yyyyyyyi)
so I read that an ions (single or groups of atoms) are charged particles but ionic compounds have an overall charge of 0 so whatt am i getting wronggg????
Ions, e.g. Na + and Cl- are ions as they have a charge yes?
So when they come together as NaCl, the + and - charges balance/cancel each other out, to give an uncharged ionic compound (so basically an overall charge of 0)
Hope this helps!
scimus63
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
try looking here it might help a bit
https://www.science-revision.co.uk/i...roperties.html
Yyyyyyyi
Rep:
(Original post by infamouBx)
Ions, e.g. Na + and Cl- are ions as they have a charge yes?
So when they come together as NaCl, the + and - charges balance/cancel each other out, to give an uncharged ionic compound (so basically an overall charge of 0)
Hope this helps!
so even if its more than one ion together it can be charged? and if so it wouldnt be an ionic compound because they wont have overall charge of 0?
Yyyyyyyi
Rep:
thanks

(Original post by scimus63)
try looking here it might help a bit
https://www.science-revision.co.uk/ionic_compounds_properties
infamouBx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Yyyyyyyi)
so even if its more than one ion together it can be charged? and if so it wouldnt be an ionic compound because they wont have overall charge of 0?
Sorry i don't quite understand what u mean
as for the last q: An ionic compund is a metal bonded to a non metal, e.g. NaCl. Even though this compound has an overall charge of 0, it is still an ionic compound, bc of the types of elements involved (metal and non metal)
Do you understand now?
Yyyyyyyi
Rep:
ohhh okk yhh I understand now thankks for the help!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (117)
34.11%
Yes - a trusted person (93)
27.11%
No (91)
26.53%
I'm not sure (42)
12.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed