Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I honestly have no clue, some days I want to be a computer scientist, other days programming doesn't take my fancy

Some days I want to work in robotics, other days I want to be a businessman.

And I act on impulse, so the days I want to program, I will make a nice bit of software (a project I'm working on). Other days I want to do robotics, So I'll research something about that.

But to say I want to pick one and do that- for me that's a big no no.

I have no clue, nada , having tried a lot of things I just can't make up my mind as to what I will do 10,20,40 years down the line, this system doesn't make sense to me. Your 18 and you have to discover exactly what you will be interested in forever.

What would you recommend I do?
Parziva1
Rep:
?
I love the theory behind computer science, the behind the scenes bit (not frontend). But at the same time I love making robots move and do things. I also love investing in stocks and shares and seeing how news can impact the stocks and shares. I also want to start a business bringing the two together.
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Which one are you good at?
da_nolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why not try your hand at all of that during your schooling? get classes that at focus in it and see how well your dedication is.

otherwise id enjoy seeing your investment robot at work some day.
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Parziva1)
I honestly have no clue, some days I want to be a computer scientist, other days programming doesn't take my fancy

Some days I want to work in robotics, other days I want to be a businessman.

And I act on impulse, so the days I want to program, I will make a nice bit of software (a project I'm working on). Other days I want to do robotics, So I'll research something about that.
This was basically me, and it's precisely why I didn't want to go to uni for a regular CompSci degree. I don't mind programming, but had no desire to work in software development full time. IMO if you enjoy something but couldn't see yourself doing it full time, it's probably not worth pursuing it as a career option.

That said, I love computers and have ended up working in Cyber Security. I specifically like that I'm not just doing the same things day in day out, there's plenty of variety. I'll often have to do a bit of programming, and while I'm not making robots there's some days where I'll be soldering up some small electronics and messing with embedded firmware. Plus you need to have a good understanding of what goes on under the hood. So that could be an option for you.

I have no clue, nada , having tried a lot of things I just can't make up my mind as to what I will do 10,20,40 years down the line
Keep in mind you aren't obligated to do one thing for the rest of your life. You don't have to make up your mind now, and whatever you do choose doesn't have to be all you do in 10, 20 or 40 years. Odds are you'll have a 50 year working life and there's nothing stopping you from career changing part way through. Using the examples you've given, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from working in software dev for 5 years, then moving onto robotics and eventually starting a business. You don't have to pick one thing to do for the rest of your life.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by JAckieee.chan)
Which one are you good at?
Computer Science, mostly the theory side
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by da_nolo)
why not try your hand at all of that during your schooling? get classes that at focus in it and see how well your dedication is.

otherwise id enjoy seeing your investment robot at work some day.
Unfortunately with the pandemic, I was only able to do some robotics classes and I had already picked computer science at A Level so I had a very limited experience of Robotics (even though I liked it very much).
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
This was basically me, and it's precisely why I didn't want to go to uni for a regular CompSci degree. I don't mind programming, but had no desire to work in software development full time. IMO if you enjoy something but couldn't see yourself doing it full time, it's probably not worth pursuing it as a career option.

That said, I love computers and have ended up working in Cyber Security. I specifically like that I'm not just doing the same things day in day out, there's plenty of variety. I'll often have to do a bit of programming, and while I'm not making robots there's some days where I'll be soldering up some small electronics and messing with embedded firmware. Plus you need to have a good understanding of what goes on under the hood. So that could be an option for you.

Keep in mind you aren't obligated to do one thing for the rest of your life. You don't have to make up your mind now, and whatever you do choose doesn't have to be all you do in 10, 20 or 40 years. Odds are you'll have a 50 year working life and there's nothing stopping you from career changing part way through. Using the examples you've given, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from working in software dev for 5 years, then moving onto robotics and eventually starting a business. You don't have to pick one thing to do for the rest of your life.
Thank you for your advice, It's really helpful to see it from that perspective.
I wanted to ask whether you still pursued a degree for Computer Science or whether it had joint concentrations from other fields? Was this a field you were interested in previously an or knew you wanted to go into?
Plus, did you learn the electronics side from your work, or other interests?
Once again thank you for the description of your work.
Last edited by Parziva1; 1 month ago
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your advice, It's really helpful to see it from that perspective.
I wanted to ask whether you still pursued a degree for Computer Science or whether it had joint concentrations from other fields? Was this a field you were interested in previously an or knew you wanted to go into?
Plus, did you learn the electronics side from your work, or other interests?
Once again thank you for the description of your work.
Oh I probably should have specified. I did a Cyber and Forensics degree. Partly because I think it's more interesting than pure CompSci, and partly because I didn't want to do a CompSci degree that would just have me programming for 3 years, expect me to go into Software Dev, etc.

My mindset going into uni was that I wanted to do something with computers, but not necessarily dev work. Alongside Cyber, I also applied to a Network Engineering degree and got accepted for both. Just ended up choosing Cyber since it seemed more varied.

The electronics side of it, I wouldn't say work taught me. More I just picked up bits as I needed them. We have people that come from dedicated electronic engineering backgrounds, so they tend to do more of the electronics side if it comes up. But if I'd self studied or had more of a background I could be doing more of that type of work.
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Computer Science, mostly the theory side
Try going for Comuter engineering. You will get to touch both hardware and software.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads