What are My Chances of Getting into Nursing if I Don't Quite have the UCAS points?

Watch
ValeciaCho
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This one's for the university lecturers/admissions ppl.
UCAS points-wise, I have 100. Most universities seem to want 112. Here's a breakdown:

AS-level Physics B
AS-level Chemistry C
A-level Biology D
A-level Maths A (You couldn't get an A*)

I also have a BSc Maths (Pass without honours) 2008. I'm 35 and have been in the customer service industry for 10 yrs and admin for about 2. Hence the career change. I've also been a Maths tutor and climbing instructor.

I've gotten lots of advice and they range from:

"You have a Maths degree and you're only 12 points off, so you should be considered. Even though, officially, they don't recognise the Maths degree, they'll love it and that you're a mature student. The NHS is crying out for nurses, so there is there is wiggle room, without drastically lowering standards."

To

"Best to do an Access course to get back in and to make sure you have the points covered."

My 1st choice City haven't even responded after almost a month of waiting.
LSBU said it'll be down to the strength of my statement and refs
Middlesex reckon it's best to take Access since my Maths degree is old.

I've already gotten an acceptance letter to do the Access Nursing course. Just need to enrol in August and apply for tuition loans and bursary. I'm also in a financial position where I can just about pull this off and have no idea when the opportunity will come again.

So what say you? Should I go and do the Access course or work full-time till September 2022 and save like mad?
Last edited by ValeciaCho; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have a degree and you’re 35. Your application won’t be judged on tariff points from 18 years ago.

What might be a problem is that you haven’t been in education within the last 2 years which is a requirement for most nursing degrees.

Apply and See how your application gets on but if you don’t get a place this year then a health & social care access diploma would be a good choice to get in next year.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
LilMonster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was in the same position and your degree is worth more than any of your ucas points.

I got into a few unis without meeting their Ucas points requirements and I applied for both Bsc and MSc Nursing.

I finished my arts degree in Animation in 2014 though so it’s more recent. I am however a care assistant at the moment so that helped a lot with my application as well. I’m 27yo at the moment and will be 28 when I start my MSc course in September.
Becky2305
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your degree would outweigh the UCAS points I think and it is true that they like mature students; they make up a large proportion of nursing students.

Whilst having previous experience in a healthcare setting is not a prerequisite for mature students coming from a different background (I've gotten in with only two short term voluntary positions and a degree from 4 years ago), your previous degree was quite some time ago and if you look on most universities nursing website pages they ask for study within the past 5 years, so these two factors combined could potentially put you at a disadvantage.

In your situation, I would probably do the Access course.
Middlesex University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ValeciaCho)
This one's for the university lecturers/admissions ppl.
UCAS points-wise, I have 100. Most universities seem to want 112. Here's a breakdown:

AS-level Physics B
AS-level Chemistry C
A-level Biology D
A-level Maths A (You couldn't get an A*)

I also have a BSc Maths (Pass without honours) 2008. I'm 35 and have been in the customer service industry for 10 yrs and admin for about 2. Hence the career change. I've also been a Maths tutor and climbing instructor.

I've gotten lots of advice and they range from:

"You have a Maths degree and you're only 12 points off, so you should be considered. Even though, officially, they don't recognise the Maths degree, they'll love it and that you're a mature student. The NHS is crying out for nurses, so there is there is wiggle room, without drastically lowering standards."

To

"Best to do an Access course to get back in and to make sure you have the points covered."

My 1st choice City haven't even responded after almost a month of waiting.
LSBU said it'll be down to the strength of my statement and refs
Middlesex reckon it's best to take Access since my Maths degree is old.

I've already gotten an acceptance letter to do the Access Nursing course. Just need to enrol in August and apply for tuition loans and bursary. I'm also in a financial position where I can just about pull this off and have no idea when the opportunity will come again.

So what say you? Should I go and do the Access course or work full-time till September 2022 and save like mad?
Hello my name is Rebecca I currently study MA Fine Art at Middlesex I understand that it's really difficult to decide where you would like to study it may be worth writing a list of pro's and cons of where you would like to study based on things that you want from a course. If you would like some more information from a student's perspective that studies Nursing you can find students that study nursing at Middlesex University here https://www.mdx.ac.uk/student-life/chat-with-students Good luck with making your decision.
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
What might be a problem is that you haven’t been in education within the last 2 years which is a requirement for most nursing degrees.
Where did you get this from? Everywhere I looked, and applied to, classed recent study as 5 years - never mind the fact that the NMC doesn't even say anything about this.
ValeciaCho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
Where did you get this from? Everywhere I looked, and applied to, classed recent study as 5 years - never mind the fact that the NMC doesn't even say anything about this.
I don't see anything mentioned on any university sites about needing recent studies.
What's NMC?
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ValeciaCho)
I don't see anything mentioned on any university sites about needing recent studies.
What's NMC?
Nursing & Midwifery Council. The organisation which regulates nursing and midwifery education & practice. To work as a nurse or midwife in the UK, you need to be registered with them.
Seeing as you're looking to study nursing, you really need to know who they are and what they do https://www.nmc.org.uk/
ValeciaCho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
Nursing & Midwifery Council. The organisation which regulates nursing and midwifery education & practice. To work as a nurse or midwife in the UK, you need to be registered with them.
Seeing as you're looking to study nursing, you really need to know who they are and what they do https://www.nmc.org.uk/
Aaaaand~ I fail at acronyms.

Been on this site before. So it's all good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.74%
Uncertainty around my education (53)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (56)
11.91%
Lack of purpose or motivation (62)
13.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.53%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (48)
10.21%
Financial worries (29)
6.17%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.6%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (46)
9.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.09%

Watched Threads