zr_123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a second year student studying diagnostic radiography and man... I hate the degree. I hate the job. Placement is terrible. I have no sort of passion for it neither do I take enjoyment in any of it, but I’m pretty much almost at the end of my second year so I’m going to see the degree through until the end, but the thought of being stuck in this profession for the rest of my life genuinely bothers me. I was wondering with a BSc degree is there anything else I can do? Will another career field accept me... bear in mind I have 0 experience in retail so that probably doesn’t help either 🥲🥲
da_nolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
who starts in retail with experience in it?
how lomg does it take to get your degree?

can you go to a counselor to ask this same question but less depressing?

why do you hate it now?
JSRadio
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What don't you like about the placements?

You could do another course like Physician Associate MSc once you've graduated. You might prefer that role.
I would try and avoid retail unless you have a passion for it. It's typically hard and low pay.
Last edited by JSRadio; 1 month ago
da_nolo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JSRadio)

You could do another course like Physician Associate MSc once you've graduated. You might prefer that role.
I would try and avoid retail unless you have a passion for it. It's typically hard and low pay.
oh what about another position like as a technition. or dentistry?
zr_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by da_nolo)
who starts in retail with experience in it?
how lomg does it take to get your degree?

can you go to a counselor to ask this same question but less depressing?

why do you hate it now?
I should have my degree by the end of May next year hopefully if I pass this year’s examinations. I don’t know how a counsellor would be able to help me tbh. I’ve just lost passion in the field
zr_123
Rep:
?

I don’t feel like the healthcare sector is for me. I don’t feel happy while I’m on placement neither do I feel even remotely content. So taking another role in the healthcare sector probably wouldn’t be any better.
JSRadio
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zr_123)
I don’t feel like the healthcare sector is for me. I don’t feel happy while I’m on placement neither do I feel even remotely content. So taking another role in the healthcare sector probably wouldn’t be any better.
Would you prefer working in a corporate office environment? You've built up good experience working with people being on placements, and the ability to be calm under pressure, work in a team and see things from other people's (patients) perspectives. This is all good experience to put on your CV. A lot of office jobs for graduates just ask for a degree in any discipline, with their thinking being that you have the academic intelligence, discipline and work ethic to be good at a job. I have an office job now, it's not related to my degree and I didn't need much experience to get it (but it is boring). Because of the placement work required in your degree, you've already got valuable work experience that a lot of other degrees don't give. It should be straightforward to relate that to roles in other sectors. I'd just avoid retail and go for office work - project management, digital marketing, account management, supply chain, product buyer etc. Better pay, work hours and job security.
zr_123
Rep:
?
Would you prefer working in a corporate office environment? You've built up good experience working with people being on placements, and the ability to be calm under pressure, work in a team and see things from other people's (patients) perspectives. This is all good experience to put on your CV. A lot of office jobs for graduates just ask for a degree in any discipline, with their thinking being that you have the academic intelligence, discipline and work ethic to be good at a job. I have an office job now, it's not related to my degree and I didn't need much experience to get it (but it is boring). Because of the placement work required in your degree, you've already got valuable work experience that a lot of other degrees don't give. It should be straightforward to relate that to roles in other sectors. I'd just avoid retail and go for office work - project management, digital marketing, account management, supply chain, product buyer etc. Better pay, work hours and job security.
I didn’t really want to go into retail either! I just thought it was the only option I had since I didn’t wanna actually go into radiography. That sounds very promising. Thank you so much, it was getting to a point where I was just becoming absolutely hopelesss and thought I was stuck in this career path forever!
da_nolo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zr_123)
I should have my degree by the end of May next year hopefully if I pass this year’s examinations. I don’t know how a counsellor would be able to help me tbh. I’ve just lost passion in the field
the uni should have coubselors or someone in that department who can share all jobs available with that same degree.
zr_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by da_nolo)
the uni should have coubselors or someone in that department who can share all jobs available with that same degree.
I don’t think they’re available atm because of the pandemic but idk what use they could really be to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (56)
22.58%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
45.16%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.31%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed