How do you get a 1:1 at university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Very broad question I know but anything that comes to mind in response to this question feel free to share. More specifically History of Art but I imagine the discipline is pretty similar across all subjects or humanities at least. Is there anything a student should do from the beginning? Or just something you didn't do at the beginning that you would have benefited from?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do the reading.
Most people don't.
BashfulStudent22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

Totally agree with 04MR17, do the reading! Here are a few other things I found useful for my coursework.

1. Further reading- learn the criticisms and other views of your work so that you can be more critical when writing coursework.

2. I highly recommend showing your teacher a plan of your coursework (if applicable for your subject) and getting their perspective to see if your plan hits all the marks. They won't be able to tell you what to write but can help make sure you are on the right lines and may give suggestions or improvements to your plan.

3. Start coursework early rather than later- this gives you a chance and time to improve your coursework, whereas if you leave it last minute you don't have the same opportunity to improve it.

4. Read the assignment brief! May seem obvious but some students just quickly skim the assignment brief and miss out on some crucial elements to their assignment which brings them down in marks. So read it carefully and highlight the areas you need to do!

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are plenty of other tips to help! Hope these are useful for your course and good luck!

Bashful
NappyMetcalf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My advice would be to do the suggested reading before each lecture but wait until you have your assignment questions / title before doing in depth reading. You won't have time or the desire to read every book on the history of art so if you want to be efficient wait until you know what specific area your assignment is on and then read in depth about that.

For each assignment you need to be arguing a point of view that is backed up with contemporary academic sources. But to get a 1st you also need to be critical of that point of view by using other contemporary academic sources. If writing critically is something you are not already familiar or comfertable with then your Uni library likely runs a workshop where they can teach you how to write critically. Id strongly recommended seeking this out.

Enjoy your first year - you probably only need 40% to pass and it won't even count towards your overall mark so this is the time to go crazy! Also use this year to figure out whether you like to have your assignments completed a few days / weeks in advance or whether you thrive under the pressure of an energy drink fuelled all nighter the night before a deadline. Also keep in mind that you only need to score 70 to get a 1st so I wouldn't waste time thinking about anything higher than 75.

Good luck and all the best 👍
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not procrastinating usually helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads