The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Exeter

I'm in such a dilemma between picking my unis for the 10th june so if anyone could help and give advice that would be great! Basically, I like both of the cities maybe durham more and the unis are both lovely, however I have drawbacks to both so can't rlly decide. Durham is a more prestigious uni and higher in rankings which is making me think is it more attractive to employers and are graduate prospects better, however the college I have been allocated really doesn't suit me I think and I don't know if I could see myself there but then again I do like the collegiate system as lots of opportunities to be involved and meet more people and also balls sound fun. Exeter I like but I don't really know what the social life and what is the uni seen as to employers also would I get bored there and is everyone very similar there. I really can't decide !! I've tried to ask to switch durham college for a medical reason but they wouldn't let me and I don't know how lenient they are if I put it as my insurance even though grades are higher than exeter and then rang them on results day to see if they had any spaces - does anyone know if this has been done before??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lcherry123
I'm in such a dilemma between picking my unis for the 10th june so if anyone could help and give advice that would be great! Basically, I like both of the cities maybe durham more and the unis are both lovely, however I have drawbacks to both so can't rlly decide. Durham is a more prestigious uni and higher in rankings which is making me think is it more attractive to employers and are graduate prospects better, however the college I have been allocated really doesn't suit me I think and I don't know if I could see myself there but then again I do like the collegiate system as lots of opportunities to be involved and meet more people and also balls sound fun. Exeter I like but I don't really know what the social life and what is the uni seen as to employers also would I get bored there and is everyone very similar there. I really can't decide !! I've tried to ask to switch durham college for a medical reason but they wouldn't let me and I don't know how lenient they are if I put it as my insurance even though grades are higher than exeter and then rang them on results day to see if they had any spaces - does anyone know if this has been done before??

Exeter is a more social place than Durham - why do you think people 'will be similar' at Exeter and not Durham? Why would Exeter be more boring? It's near the coast and Dartmoor and the campus itself is beautiful. You can choose from a wide range of halls.

Which degree? Surely the courses should be your focus?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is a more social place than Durham - why do you think people 'will be similar' at Exeter and not Durham? Why would Exeter be more boring? It's near the coast and Dartmoor and the campus itself is beautiful. You can choose from a wide range of halls.

Which degree? Surely the courses should be your focus?

I feel like Exeter ppl will be more from london and Surrey and whereas durham is a mixture from the whole of the uk so like further up north, durham has the collegiate system so you can be more social through that and college societies, i don't know I'm just unsure of Durham is a lot better regarded for employers etc

what college did you get? tbh although i've never visited Exeter, from what i understand, the experience of being in a Hill college in Durham wouldn't be too dissimilar from being at Exeter - it will have green space and modernist architecture
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
what college did you get? tbh although i've never visited Exeter, from what i understand, the experience of being in a Hill college in Durham wouldn't be too dissimilar from being at Exeter - it will have green space and modernist architecture

Trevelyan - did u go to Durham
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I was reading this thread and I noticed that you haven't mentioned the course. Do you like a course better than the other? Does a uni offers some modules that the other doesn't?
Reply 6
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, I was reading this thread and I noticed that you haven't mentioned the course. Do you like a course better than the other? Does a uni offers some modules that the other doesn't?

Geography - no they're pretty similar I like both
If you’re going to hate your college and the people you’ll see all the time then don’t go to that uni. No offence you seem to have no knowledge of Exeter, like you haven’t even researched. Btw I’m from Surrey and lived my whole life in Surrey and London so idk what kind of people you think we are but everyone is different. We’re not all like in gangs or super posh or anything. Large parts of Surrey are actually very chavtastic such as Leatherhead, which like Oxshott and Bookham are posher and the stereotypical Surrey. Don’t make the same mistake I did and go somewhere you know you won’t fit in just because it’s better. I ended up dropping o it and going somewhere else and am much happier.

You say that you don't like the college that you have. Do you have the time to visit it in person before the deadline? I know my college is offering in person tours. Maybe if you go there you can fall in love with it or it can be a big no for you
I feel like Exeter ppl will be more from london and Surrey and whereas durham is a mixture from the whole of the uk so like further up north, durham has the collegiate system so you can be more social through that and college societies, i don't know I'm just unsure of Durham is a lot better regarded for employers etc

You are in a hall in Exeter and there are loads of societies. You can't generalse on where people come from like that.

Both are highly regarded - go for the course/scheme of assessment that suits you best.
Reply 10

I am in such a similar position! I'm also trying to decide between Exeter and Durham by the 10th! I've applied for criminology and I've been allocated John Snow at durham which is actually the one I wanted. here's the pros and cons as I see it (I've tried to research as much as I can but obviously a lot of it is going to be personal preference).

Exeter
Pros
- bigger city so more to do
- city is still quaint and pretty
- 20 min train journey from beaches
- for me, criminology has the q-step programme which is meant to look good to employers (idk if geography does this)
- accommodation seems nice
- for me its a bit closer than durham (I'm from London)

Cons
- technically its not as highly regraded a uni as durham
- because its bigger and doesn't have the collegiate system might be harder to meet people, less sense of community

Durham
pros
- city is really pretty and quaint
- got the college of my choice
- technically a more prestigious uni
- 10 min from Newcastle on train so still can go to a city if that's what you like
- small city and collegiate system might create better sense of community, make it easier to meet people

cons
- further away
- city is so small so you might feel isolated
- from what I gather your college tends to organise most of the events and socials so it kinda gives me boarding school-is vibes and it could feel like you can't really escape uni if that makes sense
Original post by gpeiris
I am in such a similar position! I'm also trying to decide between Exeter and Durham by the 10th! I've applied for criminology and I've been allocated John Snow at durham which is actually the one I wanted. here's the pros and cons as I see it (I've tried to research as much as I can but obviously a lot of it is going to be personal preference).

Exeter
Pros
- for me, criminology has the q-step programme which is meant to look good to employers (idk if geography does this)

Cons
- because its bigger and doesn't have the collegiate system might be harder to meet people, less sense of community

Durham
pros
- 10 min from Newcastle on train so still can go to a city if that's what you like
- small city and collegiate system might create better sense of community, make it easier to meet people

cons
- further away
- from what I gather your college tends to organise most of the events and socials so it kinda gives me boarding school-is vibes and it could feel like you can't really escape uni if that makes sense

It honestly sounds like you want to go to Exeter but are scared to turn down an offer from a more ‘prestigious’ uni. It doesn’t matter where you go if you feel isolated and lonely, you’re mental health and grades will suffer if you’re not happy. I went to a more prestigious uni and ended up dropping out and transferring to a slightly less prestigious uni and I’m much happier. I fell into the same trap you’re looking at. Your Exeter list is very positive, the maybes are in the negative side, which your Durham list the maybes are in the positive side, so they’re not actually very positive. Meeting people is possible at every uni, you may hate the people in your college and feel trapped with them for three years.
Reply 12
Original post by Googley_eyes
It honestly sounds like you want to go to Exeter but are scared to turn down an offer from a more ‘prestigious’ uni. It doesn’t matter where you go if you feel isolated and lonely, you’re mental health and grades will suffer if you’re not happy. I went to a more prestigious uni and ended up dropping out and transferring to a slightly less prestigious uni and I’m much happier. I fell into the same trap you’re looking at. Your Exeter list is very positive, the maybes are in the negative side, which your Durham list the maybes are in the positive side, so they’re not actually very positive. Meeting people is possible at every uni, you may hate the people in your college and feel trapped with them for three years.

That’s honestly so helpful, you’ve somehow managed to articulate how I feel when I don’t even truly know. Can I ask what uni you originally went to and where you go now?
Original post by gpeiris
That’s honestly so helpful, you’ve somehow managed to articulate how I feel when I don’t even truly know. Can I ask what uni you originally went to and where you go now?

I attended QMUL, I had offers from KCL and UCL too but preferred the QMUL course. After my experience I just wanted out of London and realised that RG really isn’t very useful or enabling for the future, so now I attend Sussex and do a slightly different course that I actually prefer.

Hi, just reading this thread, my son had exactly the same dilema as you but finally decided on Exeter last night. An incredibly difficult decision as he loved both but in the end I think the distance just nudged him to Exeter. My daughter is already at Exeter and has friends from all over the country and most were not privately educated (not that anyone cares or discusses it anyway!) so don't believe everything you read elsewhere! Good luck with your decision.
Reply 15
Original post by Googley_eyes
If you’re going to hate your college and the people you’ll see all the time then don’t go to that uni. No offence you seem to have no knowledge of Exeter, like you haven’t even researched. Btw I’m from Surrey and lived my whole life in Surrey and London so idk what kind of people you think we are but everyone is different. We’re not all like in gangs or super posh or anything. Large parts of Surrey are actually very chavtastic such as Leatherhead, which like Oxshott and Bookham are posher and the stereotypical Surrey. Don’t make the same mistake I did and go somewhere you know you won’t fit in just because it’s better. I ended up dropping o it and going somewhere else and am much happier.

Yeah ofc I know not everyone's like that coz I live in london, just my friends that go there say that's the stereotype. Obvs I've researched a uni I'm considering 🙄 so I do have knowledge, I was just mentioning as a point to possibly consider sorry it offended u. The areas in Surrey aren't rlly gonna help my decision tho. Where did u go and then move to
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gpeiris

Exeter
Pros

Cons

Durham
pros

cons
- further away

Hi
My son just firmed Exeter, exactly the same dilema, had an offer for John Snow also. Loved it and Durham but couldn't put anything between the courses , agonised over decision but distance was the deciding factor in the end and funnily enough your comments above were spot on what he thought too! If it's any help we decided that Durham would have to be really really extra special to justify the 6 hour journey from home. In the end after so much research decided that there was so little difference between them and Exeter is a beautiful campus with so many great features as well.
Reply 17
Original post by gpeiris

Exeter
Pros

Cons

Durham
pros

cons
- further away

Gosh they're so similar to mine!! Let me know what you decide!!
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, just reading this thread, my son had exactly the same dilema as you but finally decided on Exeter last night. An incredibly difficult decision as he loved both but in the end I think the distance just nudged him to Exeter. My daughter is already at Exeter and has friends from all over the country and most were not privately educated (not that anyone cares or discusses it anyway!) so don't believe everything you read elsewhere! Good luck with your decision.

Oh wow that is very reassuring- i loved both as well!! I think I'm leaning more towards Exeter now as I am pretty certain I would get the grades whereas Durham I'm not as sure and I'm not sure whether I want to risk it and then not be guaranteed accommodation in exeter. Is your son doing geography too?
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
My son just firmed Exeter, exactly the same dilema, had an offer for John Snow also. Loved it and Durham but couldn't put anything between the courses , agonised over decision but distance was the deciding factor in the end and funnily enough your comments above were spot on what he thought too! If it's any help we decided that Durham would have to be really really extra special to justify the 6 hour journey from home. In the end after so much research decided that there was so little difference between them and Exeter is a beautiful campus with so many great features as well.

Are you guys from London?

Quick Reply

Latest