difference between AS level and Alevel

Watch
username5496276
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi i am on my summer break after completing gcses and I was quite curious on how the exam papers for my chosen alevels (biology , chemistry, psychology, politics) would look like in college. when I went on the website there were 2 sections for each year.. so my question is what is the difference between an AS level and an Alevel? and for example in chemistry why does an AS level have 2 papers and an Alevel have 3 papers? Is AS level the first year into college?
thereisalightx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AS is the first year of an a level. It's usually done if someone takes 4 subjects and does one as an AS, so they wouldn't do a full a level and they wouldn't study it for the second year. A level is the full course and the exams are sat at the end of the second year. You can still study four subjects as full a levels, and some sixth forms/colleges don't really let students sit AS levels so it's worth checking if you're planning to do that
a.dream
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AS = first year
A-level (Or A2) = second year

Typically AS is worth 40% of your alevel grade and A2 is worth 60% (hence more papers in certain subjects)

Hope this helped!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by a.dream)
AS = first year
A-level (Or A2) = second year

Typically AS is worth 40% of your alevel grade and A2 is worth 60% (hence more papers in certain subjects)

Hope this helped!
It doesn't work like that anymore, AS is a standalone qualification that doesn't contribute to your final A-level grade. So hardly any schools do them now.
a.dream
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It doesn't work like that anymore, AS is a standalone qualification that doesn't contribute to your final A-level grade. So hardly any schools do them now.
Well, definitely not during this covid pandemic. But typically, in N. Ireland, we follow the 40/60 divide. Although, I have heard that it is different for England. So, apologies for not mentioning that.
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For psychology (AQA), AS is social influence, memory, attachments, psychopathology, approaches and research methods and A level also includes biopsychology, issues and debates and three optional topics (we did schizophrenia, gender and aggression). The questions are basically the same though at AS, essays are worth 12 marks compared to 16 at A level (there may be other differences that I'm unaware of as I never sat full AS papers, only A level)
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In England, the AS covers the first half of the A level content. You can take AS exam(s) and gain an AS but there's little point if you're taking the A level as the entire A level content is examined in the A level exams, and your A level grade is based purely on that. As far as revision goes, AS papers are useful for testing how well you've learnt the first year's work.

If you do take AS exam, they don't count for university applications if you then take the same subject at A level. If you have a UCAS points offer then an AS grade (in a separate subject) get you 40% of the UCAS points of the same grade at A level.

The total exam length of A level papers is about twice that of AS exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (7)
50%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (1)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (6)
42.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads