username5496276
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
should I do an EPQ? my chosen subjects for Alevel are biology chemistry psychology and politics but I'm not really sure about politics because I'm not as interested as I was in it before. I'm thinking to replace politics with an EPQ but I don't know if I should do it or if it is worth it.. or whether i should just stick to 3 alevels. If you have done your EPQ could you please tell me your experience or what topic you chose to write about? I want to go to the medicine pathway and I really love science so if I do it I might write up something about science.. but it also scares me how chemistry is quite a hard a level so I don't know if I will be able to juggle the sciences with the EPQ. Any tips on what I should do?
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Politics isn't needed for medicine, and you said you're not enjoying it so it would be okay to drop it if you wanted to. This would also free up more time for you to focus on the EPQ if you choose to do it.
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Maybe see if it will help with university applications in terms of lower grade offers and UCAS points in terms of the course you may be interested in and types of universities. It is good for your personal statement too. Universities like them as they teach independent working skills, research, writing in an academic style, etc.
If you choose to do it there is quite a lot of work involved to do it well. If you do it in year 12 try and choose the right question in the least time, and work asap on it. The key thing is to work regularly on it, make sure you understand what is involved, maybe buy the textbooks on it, be organised and don't put it off. It is a challenge. Maybe choose a topic that helps with what you want to do at university and that you are interested in.

You don't want it to impact on your A levels so if you can cope with it so it doesn't, it may be worth it, especially if it helps with university.

Chemistry is hard, though, and Biology, so I would definitely get the EPQ work out of the way asap. There is a presentation too. I would do the log each week.

It is a good idea for the EPQ to look at planning time, use a time planner, show why you change your plan, show independent thinking and analysis in the product eg essay, correctly reference, show the process of choosing a title and why you may change ideas on the title, keep a detailed but relevant log, use a variety of relevant sources and evaluate them and look at potential bias etc, do aims and objectives and essay plans,etc. There are lots of things online which can help. Don't want to put you off though!

Just my opinion though so look into it thoroughly. Maybe buy a textbook and see if you can cope with the work. It is additional stress. Definitely work hard early and get it out of the way.

Topic - check there is no overlap with A levels. Maybe you could get an email from your teacher confirming this once you choose a topic, if you decide to do it just to be clear.
Last edited by Cote1; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise