Geog NEA - I need help ASAP. PLS I am very stressed!

Watch this thread
kncha
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am currently very stressed about my geography NEA, my exam board is OCR btw.

I have to think of a question and find some literature for it by tomorrow and I really have no idea.

I was thinking to do a physical based one, something about soil infiltration and linking this to climate change and the carbon cycle idk. I just can't think of any questions, so please if you view this and have any ideas please share them with me bc I am currently struggling . I am open to any ideas, sorry for being desperate 😭
ffunky
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I am also doing my NEA and doing a human topic is more easier (depending on your location). If you live near a coast, a physical topic would be suitable but if you are surrounded in an area where there has been lots of regeneration, globalisation and cultural diversity (diverse places), human topic will be best since you have lots to talk about.You also need to make sure you include a geographical theory (to get the top marks).For a good question, ensure that you specify the location as to where you are studying (specify the ward or area within the borough). If an area has undergone regeneration, you can discuss how it has affected crime rates. You can also talk about how regeneration has influenced patterns of gentrification. Also, go through the specification to find what interests you as you need to link back to the spec in your investigation. Good luck!
lonelybear
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kncha)
Hello, I am currently very stressed about my geography NEA, my exam board is OCR btw.

I have to think of a question and find some literature for it by tomorrow and I really have no idea.

I was thinking to do a physical based one, something about soil infiltration and linking this to climate change and the carbon cycle idk. I just can't think of any questions, so please if you view this and have any ideas please share them with me bc I am currently struggling . I am open to any ideas, sorry for being desperate 😭
Hey!! I done my NEA a little while ago, but I also done it with OCR and got an A, 1-2 mark of an A* (can't remember exactly). If you have to think of question/topic, I would highly recommend, just like ffunky, to do a human topic. I was better at physical geography, but doing a physical geography topic is much harder than human simply due to the nature of its work.

Are you in year 12? If so, you have some time.

You could do a question like:

To what extent is there evidence of [gentrification CAN BE ANYTHING, E.G. REGENERATION] in [SPECIFIC AREA NAME- STREETS, SMALLER AREAS ETC.] of [BOROUGH] in [London - CAN BE ANY CITY] in the past 5 years?

Obviously, you would then define gentrification and what counts as gentrification e.g. change in the area in the form of buildings (homes, stores etc), demographic (typically, you would see more middle class people, often white too) etc.

Some examples from AQA (I used these to help mine! They're SO helpful):

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...0373-NEA-G.PDF -> Human -> USED THIS ONE TO GUIDE ME!
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...0373-NEA-C.PDF -> Physical
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...73-NEA-ESI.PDF -> Human

As far as literature reviews are concerned, have some that show the point that you are proving (your hypotheses - maybe null hypotheses?). These can be articles published, like on the Guardian, or actual research papers. For example, if you say that you're looking at gentrification, you may be able to find a paper online that talks about what gentrification encompasses, e.g. an increase in white middle-class people, and a decrease in POC and working class people. Then you could look at secondary data and see whether it fits these patterns.

I would also recommend the following, based on OCR's feedback to everyone the year before I done my NEA and my teacher's feedback:

- Be VERY specific. For example, don't say London, narrow it down to specific areas. For example, Hackney. Then, narrow it done further into specific areas in Hackney.
- Have a specific time frame, e.g. if you're talking about gentrification, say 'in the last 5 years' for example. Don't make the time frame to large, like 20 years. I would say stick to 3-10 years; 5 is a good one imo.
- Have maps! When you have a map, add a red box around the area you are referring to/a red line going through the street or whatever. In the figure description, be detailed about what the map is showing. Also, have maps from google earth and OS maps etc. Add the coordinates of the specific location. If it's down a long street, for example, have the coordinates of where it starts and ends. Add longitude and latitude of the specific place you are studying.

Good luck!
kncha
Rep:
Thank you both, I see what you mean, I should probably do a human based one because it's easier.
I was considering doing one based on gentrification actually, but where I live I don't think there is evidence of it (I live in a town that was like created in the 80s so idk) -so do you reckon I can do what you said and do it of a nearby city (I live reliatvley close to Birmingham)? If so, what primary data can you collect to support this question? That's the other part I'm struggling with, the primary data because I don't know how or what to collect and relate it to my question. Once again thanks for taking your time and helping me!
lonelybear
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kncha)
Thank you both, I see what you mean, I should probably do a human based one because it's easier.
I was considering doing one based on gentrification actually, but where I live I don't think there is evidence of it (I live in a town that was like created in the 80s so idk) -so do you reckon I can do what you said and do it of a nearby city (I live reliatvley close to Birmingham)? If so, what primary data can you collect to support this question? That's the other part I'm struggling with, the primary data because I don't know how or what to collect and relate it to my question. Once again thanks for taking your time and helping me!
Primary data could include, but not limited to:

- Counting shops. Literally counting stores. How many are high-end and have been built in the last 5 years? E.g. if you're looking at a street, you can probably find online what stores were there before. Was it previously privately owned shops, e.g. independent grocery stores, but now there is a Tesco, Waitrose and Aldi
- Interviews! Asking people questions about gentrification and how it has affected them. Sometimes people can be relocated to make space for new buildings/tenants.
- Flats. New, 'attractive' flats can often be built to accommodate more people moving in.
- Check house prices; try zoopla for example. See how house/flat prices have changed in the last 5 years. Have they increased? If so, why?

There are many more; check your textbook/online resources
ffunky
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kncha)
Gentrification is a really interesting topic to do. There are theories of gentrification you can find on google scholars. You should do research to find an area that seems to have undergone gentrification (look out for gated communities, white m/c people in the area, is it located near a CBD?).

Your primary data will depend on your investigation questions/hypothesis. For example, you can take pictures of a gentrified area to compare with a before picture of the same location to prove there is evidence of gentrification.
You could do surveys and hand them out to different stakeholders and groups to gather different perceptions on their views on gentrification.

Secondary data will come in very handy for gentrification. Once you have selected an area to investigate, do some background research, such as looking at previous demography and current trends. If there are major patterns of differences, you can suggest reasons why this has happened. For example, there may have been lots of Bangladeshi's or Pakistani's living in the particular area but there are now more White m/c people living in the area. The definition of gentrification varies based on location as Americans consider ethnicity AND social class during the process whilst UK only refers to the movement of middle-class groups. Also, you should observe how many people are privately renting, socially renting and are house owners to determine if there is evidence of gentrification. I hope this helps!
Last edited by ffunky; 1 year ago
kncha
Rep:
Thank you very much, you have both been very helpful - I am less stressed now 😅. This has confirmed to me that I will now do a qn based on gentrification bc that is a topic that I actually have previously researched and I do find very interesting - just need to figure out my sub-hypotheses!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads