The Student Room Group

A-Level English lit- Othello

Can anyone help me with how Iago uses language to manipulate Othello’s insecurity
Here are a few: "In Venice they do let God see the pranks/ They dare not show their husbands." Starting the sentence with "In Venice" emphasises the fact that Othello isn't from Venice, as though he doesn't really know what the women are like, or what the customs are, or even what Desdemona is really like, Iago manipulates Othello's insecurity of being an outsider.
There's also the whole "she did deceive her father in marrying you" (that's not 100% correct) and all that. Desdemona is, in a way, one of Othello's insecurities, he trusts her and loves her, but has made himself vulnerable to her because of that: he is unused to domestic settings, he prefers war and military settings. So when Iago suggests that it is in Desdemona's nature to deceive and betray, Othello feels insecure, because he trusts her, and it seems as though she has manipulated him.
There are loads of really interesting quotes for this, I don't think these two are even the best ones: Iago manipulates multiple insecurities— Othellos insecurity about his race, as well as being an outsider, his insecurity in a domestic setting, but in general about being good enough. You can see how Othello's confidence lessens throughout the play because of Iago's manipulation. At the beginning he's really confident, he feels able to take on Brabantio, but then when in Cyprus, he feels much more insecure.
Sorry, I've just realised how all over the place this answer is lol. I hope it helps in someway though!

Original post by SiennaEveKelly
Can anyone help me with how Iago uses language to manipulate Othello’s insecurity
Original post by banannabelle17
Here are a few: "In Venice they do let God see the pranks/ They dare not show their husbands." Starting the sentence with "In Venice" emphasises the fact that Othello isn't from Venice, as though he doesn't really know what the women are like, or what the customs are, or even what Desdemona is really like, Iago manipulates Othello's insecurity of being an outsider.
There's also the whole "she did deceive her father in marrying you" (that's not 100% correct) and all that. Desdemona is, in a way, one of Othello's insecurities, he trusts her and loves her, but has made himself vulnerable to her because of that: he is unused to domestic settings, he prefers war and military settings. So when Iago suggests that it is in Desdemona's nature to deceive and betray, Othello feels insecure, because he trusts her, and it seems as though she has manipulated him.
There are loads of really interesting quotes for this, I don't think these two are even the best ones: Iago manipulates multiple insecurities— Othellos insecurity about his race, as well as being an outsider, his insecurity in a domestic setting, but in general about being good enough. You can see how Othello's confidence lessens throughout the play because of Iago's manipulation. At the beginning he's really confident, he feels able to take on Brabantio, but then when in Cyprus, he feels much more insecure.
Sorry, I've just realised how all over the place this answer is lol. I hope it helps in someway though!

Thank you so much
Original post by SiennaEveKelly
Thank you so much

np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending