The Student Room Group

Leaving uni after 10 years... AMA

So I started my undergrad in 2011 and I have studied in three different universities since. On my road, I have a lot of regrets and would have done some things differently had I known about certain aspects of university. I can't roll back the clocks now and it has been a very long time, but I have also had some great times during this long road and for those who are maybe just starting university now, feel free to ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

What was your favourite level of study?
Did you have to pay the student loan/ maintenance loan yourself after the 3 years was up? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
What was your favourite level of study?

undergraduate, especially the first year in 2011 because you don't really have to care about anything else
Reply 4
Original post by Chronoscope
Did you have to pay the student loan/ maintenance loan yourself after the 3 years was up? :smile:

I used my savings with family help for my masters and my PhD was funded by a sponsorship program.
Reply 5
What did u study?
Any future plans?
Reply 7
Original post by Examhelpp
What did u study?

I did mechanical engineering BEng and then MSc
Reply 8
Original post by hungrysalamander
Any future plans?

Right now I just want to work and just keep life moving forward. Being at uni for so long makes you fed up eventually and I am looking at graduate jobs right now.
Original post by Fenner30
So I started my undergrad in 2011 and I have studied in three different universities since. On my road, I have a lot of regrets and would have done some things differently had I known about certain aspects of university. I can't roll back the clocks now and it has been a very long time, but I have also had some great times during this long road and for those who are maybe just starting university now, feel free to ask me anything.

Is it hard?
Is there a library and send me an image or what it roughly looks like?
Are there bullies there?
How long does the library open for?
Reply 10
Right now I just want to work and just keep life moving forward. Being at uni for so long makes you fed up eventually and I am looking at graduate jobs right now.

Do you want to be an engineer?
Reply 11
Original post by Lacrimosa1
Is it hard?
Is there a library and send me an image or what it roughly looks like?
Are there bullies there?
How long does the library open for?

hard is one word, but it depends on who you are and what you want from the experience.
Yes every uni has a library
And there are a lot of fake people rather than bullies
The library is usually 24 hours but not anymore after COVID
Reply 12
Original post by sabana
Do you want to be an engineer?

I am open to what I get. Lots of my mates from bachelors graduation went onto different things after the engineering degree

Your going for graduate level jobs?

Did you consider going into leveraging your technical expertise from your research into a slightly higher professional grade?
Reply 14
Original post by mnot
Your going for graduate level jobs?

Did you consider going into leveraging your technical expertise from your research into a slightly higher professional grade?

The issue with research grads is that we are told we dont have much experience outside our field and we are not considered reliable. For me, it doesn't really matter which position I get. I would just be happy to earn more than this PhD stipend which is rubbish at my life stage.
Was it worth it in your opinion? Sorry if that sounds rude, it's not supposed to be lol :h:
Reply 16
Original post by V℮rsions
Was it worth it in your opinion? Sorry if that sounds rude, it's not supposed to be lol :h:

Only bachelors and masters, though I would have done some things differently to make sure I get the most of my experience, but I can't turn back the time to get that experience back. It was a long time ago and I was only 19 years old when I started.
what job do you want now after ur phd like what would be the dream
what was your student debt situation like. presumably the first degree was cheap ish?

how was it making new friends?
are student accommodations worth it? i heard their small and make you depressed after a while!

Quick Reply

Latest