The Student Room Group
Squats! No weights or even gym membership required.
Original post by cupcakkeeee21
Hi, if anyone could give me advice I’d really appreciate

I’ve just started going to gym, my aim is to lose belly fat and grow my glutes

However I’m confused on how to grow my glutes, I know weight lifting is involved but I don’t think it’ll be suitable for me as I’m a beginner

The glutes are a stubborn muscle group and extremely hard to grow. There is no denying that is takes tons and tons of hard work and tons and tons of time to actually build a solid pair of glutes.
Just googled 'is growing glutes possible' and copypasted the first result here.

However I’m confused on how to grow my glutes, I know weight lifting is involved but I don’t think it’ll be suitable for me as I’m a beginner

Maybe try a resistance band?
Reply 4

Squats, with feet wide apart. Do 3 sets of as much as it takes for it to hurt so much you can't continue. Half a minute break between the sets.
Then, a minute rest.
Do hip thrusts. Again 3 sets of as much as it takes^. Half a minute breaks.
Minute break.
Lunges. Better with some weights. Same as above^
Minute break.
Then hip thrusts with a twist; On a chair or bed, place both your feet on it, your back and butt on the floor. Lift up one of your legs so that only one rests on the bed/chair. Then, hip thrust, try to lift yourself off the ground using your glutes. This will be much harder, but same sequence as before^.

Then just rest for two/three days and do it all again, try to increase the amount in the sets at by at least one or two, but take care of yourself. Push yourself to your limit but at the same time make sure not to hurt yourself. It'll take a while, don't rush it. For me it took about 6 months to get a noticeable growth, but then I was satisfied so I stopped haha. Beside these workouts, try to work other muscles too like your arms so your proportions remain good.
Reply 5

By the way you don't need any gym equipment for the workouts I listed, you're better off just buying some small weights from 1kg-3kg and using those for the lunges and maybe arm workouts too. It'll save you a lot of money and you will feel much more comfortable doing workout in your own environment at your own time. At least that's what worked for me, I don't see a need to spend on gym when you can do all of these at home and get the same, if not better, results.
Weightlifting is the most efficient way to grow muscle as a beginner or advanced trainee.

Lifting weights is perfectly suitable for a beginner - everyone starts out a beginner. Good exercises would be squats, hip-thrusts and deadlifts.

Latest