The Student Room Group

Imperial College London A100 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Imperial College London A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Imperial.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Imperial A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Imperial A100 2021 Entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560678

For general information click: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/medicine-mbbs-programmes/

For entry requirements click: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/#entry-requirements

Imperial A100 2022 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7184197

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone starting BMAT revision now??
Where is the zoom link/sign-up button for the Imperial Medicine Open day (link below)?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/medicine-mbbs-programmes/virtualopendays/mbbsopenday/

There were 360 people in the '19 intake and 402 in the '20 intake (my year) so I suspect that is not quite right, personally, but it is what's on their website!

This appears to be for the school of medicine as a whole, too (as they include BioMed and external intercalators) which would definitely push the intake above that...? :confused:

Either way I don't think it is worth worrying about if you are an offer holder, as they are obliged to place you if you meet the grades and have confirmed they will hold places for Autumn resitters. Worst case scenario you'd have to defer but I haven't heard of anyone being forcibly deferred for Imperial med.
Original post by BurgerKing666
Ooh man :frown:.. problem is, I’m not an Offer Holder, I’ve been rejected this year for a BMAT of 10.6 and their cut-off was 10.9. Got my A Levels Last year of A*A*A. Sooo.. I’m thinking 2022 entry is a Hell of a nightmare.
Would you think it’s because of the Government push for extra places this 2021 (lifting cap of over 9000), hence decreasing the numbers of 2022?
Hope not :frown::frown:

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and assumed this was the 2021 thread :colondollar:

I would be really surprised to see Imperial's numbers go back down personally because they were previously planning to expand up to around 420 places, according to the Imperial grapevine (so their cap would be increased).

This whole thing is a mess though and it is impossible to tell what will happen and how this is going to affect medicine admissions and training long-term. The whole thing with the cap is insane. I'd imagine 2022 entry will be similarly difficuly to 2021, but your BMAT score is good and you would potentially have interviewed at other universities? If you post your stats here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038&p=95665121&page=259#post95665121 we can try and advise on where to apply.
@becausethenight and @annabanana if you are on the new course :smile:
what exactly does "team-based learning" mean in regards to the Imperial course... is it just CBL by another name?
Also, do you do a lot of lab based things like polymerase chain reaction and western blotting (outside of COVID)? I was also wondering whether you got time off before finals to revise?
Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by _Mia101
what exactly does "team-based learning" mean in regards to the Imperial course... is it just CBL by another name?
Also, do you do a lot of lab based things like polymerase chain reaction and western blotting (outside of COVID)? I was also wondering whether you got time off before finals to revise?

@becausethenight, @annabanana I'm not sure if I tagged you correctly last time.
Original post by _Mia101

Hey, sorry, this must have just gotten lost :colondollar:

In first and second year at least we basically have 1 CBL module (going through cases in your tutor group) and 1 piece of coursework in a group (making a podcast), plus the presentations for GP placement which are not much work, and that's the extent of team based stuff. This is roughly similar in y2 I think and then tails off as you go onto placement as the assessments are all signoffs or OSCEs I think.

There is not that much lab based stuff imo - we had maybe 7 or 8 'lab-y' sessions as part of the science-heavy Principles of Medicine module (using a cytometer, gram staining, PCR, karotyping) but only 2 or 3 were actually in a lab (think they would all be if not for COVID though) but the point is much more about being aware of these techniques clinicallty and how they work rather than being able to perform them and choose techniques as it is in say a Biochem degree. We don't do Western blotting AFAIK and I don't think there's much lab work at all on the curriculum post year 1.

For revision in y1 and y2 you get the Easter holidays before exams so just over a month of revision time. In clinical years it gets tighter but you always get at least 1 or 2 weeks of protected revision time before exams AFAIK.
Original post by becausethenight
Hey, sorry, this must have just gotten lost :colondollar:

In first and second year at least we basically have 1 CBL module (going through cases in your tutor group) and 1 piece of coursework in a group (making a podcast), plus the presentations for GP placement which are not much work, and that's the extent of team based stuff. This is roughly similar in y2 I think and then tails off as you go onto placement as the assessments are all signoffs or OSCEs I think.

There is not that much lab based stuff imo - we had maybe 7 or 8 'lab-y' sessions as part of the science-heavy Principles of Medicine module (using a cytometer, gram staining, PCR, karotyping) but only 2 or 3 were actually in a lab (think they would all be if not for COVID though) but the point is much more about being aware of these techniques clinicallty and how they work rather than being able to perform them and choose techniques as it is in say a Biochem degree. We don't do Western blotting AFAIK and I don't think there's much lab work at all on the curriculum post year 1.

For revision in y1 and y2 you get the Easter holidays before exams so just over a month of revision time. In clinical years it gets tighter but you always get at least 1 or 2 weeks of protected revision time before exams AFAIK.

Ah no worries and thank you!

This is really helpful, so most of the content is taught in lectures then.
That makes sense, I guess you can always do more of that kinda stuff in the iBsc if you pick a related option.
You mentioned GP placements, do you have those (and hospital placements) quite regularly in the pre-clinical years outside of Covid times and how do you find them... are they useful learning experiences?

Also, I was wondering, whether you'd say going to a university in London is really expensive or is it not as bad as everyone makes it seem?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:
Original post by _Mia101
Ah no worries and thank you!

This is really helpful, so most of the content is taught in lectures then.
That makes sense, I guess you can always do more of that kinda stuff in the iBsc if you pick a related option.
You mentioned GP placements, do you have those (and hospital placements) quite regularly in the pre-clinical years outside of Covid times and how do you find them... are they useful learning experiences?

Also, I was wondering, whether you'd say going to a university in London is really expensive or is it not as bad as everyone makes it seem?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:

Yes, basically. You do have small (well, 30 people!) group tutorials to consolidate lecture materials but I wouldn't really call them TBL - it's more like going through a series of questions with a tutor so there's no real 'teamwork' (in my opinion haha)

Yeah I think if you really want to do lab work look into a summer lab placement (like a UROP) or a very lab-heavy iBSc (or maybe a pathology placement)

Yes, we have 1 day every fortnight in GP for terms 1 and 2 of Y1 and Y2 so a lot of placement! I found it good fun and interesting, but it's not really going to be assessed in the written papers and a lot of people slack off. It's what you make of it, I asked questions and tried to link stuff back to what we were learning so it was a chill and low stakes way to develop the learning. I'm super jealous of the 5th years who get to run their own clinics :biggrin:

I've lived in London all my life so am maybe not best placed to answer the question :lol: In terms of living expenses I had very cheap halls last year of £93pw and have just moved into a Hammersmith flat that works out around £200pw (rent + utilities) for each of us, and then I'm anticipating spending around £100pw on food and living expenses. You could cut that down though, I like being able to get lunch out and visit people and I'm lucky that I can afford that. Imperial has a generous bursary scheme and many people work in the holidays - I've made around £1k tutoring and odd jobs over 2 months and not trying too hard - if you work 9-5 or even just tutor every morning you could easily make double or treble that. Loads of my friends are making ridiculous amounts vaccinating at the moment for example. I don't know what it's like at other unis but it's certainly manageable if you manage your money and I don't know anyone who's seriously struggling, although I don't know that many people. Most 'normal' students do do summer work, though and possibly a bit in term time (although this gets much harder in clinical years)

No worries, ask away :smile:
Would it be advisable to apply to Imperial with predicted grades A*AA? The requirements are AAA but it says in the selection process that they consider predicted grades as a factor when selecting candidates for interview?
Reply 12
Original post by darshprab2206
Would it be advisable to apply to Imperial with predicted grades A*AA? The requirements are AAA but it says in the selection process that they consider predicted grades as a factor when selecting candidates for interview?

They just check you meet minimum requirements, but will not score them beyond that
Original post by GANFYD
They just check you meet minimum requirements, but will not score them beyond that

Is the BMAT score the most important then?
Original post by GANFYD

Original post by darshprab2206

Yes - if you meet the cutoff, you will interview.
I’d point out though that while you can apply with AAA, non-WP students will get a A*AA offer so I really wouldn’t apply if you don’t think you’ll get the A*, as a point of interest.
Thanks for letting me know!
Original post by becausethenight
Yes - if you meet the cutoff, you will interview.
I’d point out though that while you can apply with AAA, non-WP students will get a A*AA offer so I really wouldn’t apply if you don’t think you’ll get the A*, as a point of interest.

Hi ya
Could I clarify if A* needs to be in a particular subject or any of the 3 A levels?
Original post by uniaspirant
Hi ya
Could I clarify if A* needs to be in a particular subject or any of the 3 A levels?

For my offer and that of basically everyone I know, it had to be in Bio or Chem.
what are the overall takeaways from last year results/admissions having an impact on this year of applying? more deferred? more a stars? fewer places? more competitive?less competitive? has the situation calmed down or is it still under the chaos caused by the tags?

Quick Reply

Latest