The Student Room Group

Alevel 2020 vs Alevel 2021

Does anyone think thats the alevel grades given to 2020 students were so unfair compared to those given to 2021. 2020 students were made to do mocks that were much harder than alevel level so they practice for the real thing, so did bad in mocks. Not only that their test was all 2 years of content in one test. whereas for 2021, students only do topic tests and so its a lot less info to learn for each test. I've seen people who repeated from 2020 from getting E's to getting A/A* only because the tests are much easier now? how was that fair to the 2020 graduates. i know girls from 2020 that got As/A* in topic test but got Cs in mocks because it was 2 year content. Now its only topic tests so everyone is doing well. how is that fair in anyway to 2020 graduates?
I am a 2021 student and I think it has been unfair to both just in different ways. Whilst everything you have said is true, there have been disadvantages for 2021 students. For example, depending on subjects and school, a lot of ours were based solely on those exams, whilst the 2020 students grades were based on their overall performance so it included topic tests etc. Furthermore, our exams were announced months after we had been told by the government that we wouldn’t be doing exams. Also, for the 2020 year group, you were at school for all of year 12 and most of year 13. By the time lockdown was announced most subjects would have finished most of their content and any exams that you did were done before that. Which means that your learning wasn’t actually affected by lockdown (of course the exams were, but the actual learning part wasn’t). For our year, we were in lockdown for just over four months of year 12, and just under three months of year 13, which means most of the content was covered over teams, or we were just sent textbook pages or powerpoints to read.
Original post by Smouncher
I am a 2021 student and I think it has been unfair to both just in different ways. Whilst everything you have said is true, there have been disadvantages for 2021 students. For example, depending on subjects and school, a lot of ours were based solely on those exams, whilst the 2020 students grades were based on their overall performance so it included topic tests etc. Furthermore, our exams were announced months after we had been told by the government that we wouldn’t be doing exams. Also, for the 2020 year group, you were at school for all of year 12 and most of year 13. By the time lockdown was announced most subjects would have finished most of their content and any exams that you did were done before that. Which means that your learning wasn’t actually affected by lockdown (of course the exams were, but the actual learning part wasn’t). For our year, we were in lockdown for just over four months of year 12, and just under three months of year 13, which means most of the content was covered over teams, or we were just sent textbook pages or powerpoints to read.

I wish that was the case but our grades weren’t chosen via overall everything. In biology I got Bs for every topic test but because in the mock I got C, the teacher just gave me a C. It was horrible. It was announced March and yes maybe we did cover most of the content, but no one took their exams or mocks seriously, whereas 2021 students knew mocks and exams would count
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi,
I'm not sure if this thread is still alive or not but here goes any way! I'm currently doing a thesis for my MA on whether algorithms in the public sector results in social inequalities. My case study is the 2020 A-Levels. I would love to interview anyone who may have been affected by it. It would take no more than an hour online but I think it's very important that students affected by it are included and are heard especially as time moves on. If you'd like to get involved, please reply and I'll set something up. Also, feel free to post below as well! :-)
Original post by AESE1
Hi,
I'm not sure if this thread is still alive or not but here goes any way! I'm currently doing a thesis for my MA on whether algorithms in the public sector results in social inequalities. My case study is the 2020 A-Levels. I would love to interview anyone who may have been affected by it. It would take no more than an hour online but I think it's very important that students affected by it are included and are heard especially as time moves on. If you'd like to get involved, please reply and I'll set something up. Also, feel free to post below as well! :-)

i dont mind sharing my experience with 2020 Alevel grades. it was a horrible experience, with teacher biases and racism. i think all my friends were devasted with their grades.
Reply 5
Original post by shreya kc
i dont mind sharing my experience with 2020 Alevel grades. it was a horrible experience, with teacher biases and racism. i think all my friends were devasted with their grades.

That would be fab. Thank you! I'm new to this forum. Can I send you a private message?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending