The Student Room Group

A Level Revision guides (maths, bio, chem)

Hi everyone :smile:
I was just wondering which revision guides people would recommend for A-level chemistry (AQA), biology (AQA) and maths (edexcel)?

I was looking at the CGP website and there are quite a few options, such as the revision and practice books, exam practice workbooks and the student books, which of these would you recommend to definitely buy?
(is it better to buy year 1 and year 2 separately or should I just go for the one with both years?)

Alternatively are there better resources online?
(I found I ended up not really using my CGP guides at GCSE in the end and found physics and maths tutor much more useful so I'm basically not sure whether to spend so much!)

Thank you so much! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
I usually go for the CGP books because they seem to be the best. I used one for further maths and chemistry during my A-levels and found them very useful (especially during quarantine) because they explained everything in more detail than textbooks sometimes do.

If you know you need to do practice questions to help you consolidate your understanding, I would suggest buying the workbooks (CGP again) as many people have recommended them to me. Although, if you're more likely to use physics & maths tutor for maths, perhaps don't bother with the workbook.

I would suggest buying the revision guides for both years, unless you know which subject you might finish at AS level.

In terms of online resources, I used Chemguide a lot for chemistry, as an alternative to textbooks but be aware that it sometimes goes a bit beyond A-level (though it usually tells you which parts aren't needed). I also sometimes used Seneca for chemistry as a refresher for some topics, but I have found that some knowledge is missing.

I hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by SquareWright
I usually go for the CGP books because they seem to be the best. I used one for further maths and chemistry during my A-levels and found them very useful (especially during quarantine) because they explained everything in more detail than textbooks sometimes do.

If you know you need to do practice questions to help you consolidate your understanding, I would suggest buying the workbooks (CGP again) as many people have recommended them to me. Although, if you're more likely to use physics & maths tutor for maths, perhaps don't bother with the workbook.

I would suggest buying the revision guides for both years, unless you know which subject you might finish at AS level.

In terms of online resources, I used Chemguide a lot for chemistry, as an alternative to textbooks but be aware that it sometimes goes a bit beyond A-level (though it usually tells you which parts aren't needed). I also sometimes used Seneca for chemistry as a refresher for some topics, but I have found that some knowledge is missing.

I hope that helps!

Thank you, it's very helpful! :smile:
Just had another question if that's ok, do you think the jump between GCSE and A-level for chemistry is as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

Quick Reply

Latest