The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

PPE at Exeter

So I am not sure whether to choose Exeter for PPE; I love the city , although it is a bit quiet and small, but I am concerned that I will get bored after a while. Also, Exeter is a relatively new university and doesnt rank very highly in world rankings or in certain UK rankings. Would this affect my job prospects significantly? For context, I have the following offers:

Warwick
Manchester
Leeds
Exeter

I know Manchester ranks very highly overall and that job prospects there are really good as firms target grads from Manchester, but I dont think I'd like the city. Warwick is too close too home and really bland, despite the fact its probably best on paper. Any advice as to what I should do? :smile:
Just finished first year of PPE at Exeter, you will not get bored at all, its no where near as quiet as people make it out to be. Also as a side note, I wouldn't look to much into the rankings as they mean absolutely bugger all, Manchester may be higher in the world rankings, but Exeter is higher in UK rankings, it literally just depends on which one you look at.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I've just graduated at Exeter studying PPE.

I echo a lot of @GeorgeSweetman's points. At no point have I really felt bored with Exeter (and I grew up in London, so am used to a lot busier a city), it's a lot more student-centric than other city universities on your list (which may appeal to you, but equally it may not).

Significantly? Not at all. I would argue that it's a lot better than Manchester for graduate prospects (mix of what I've read online plus anecdotally). I've been able to secure a graduate job, and I know a lot of others that have too. Equally, the university have a really good career service to give out great advice, and they put on great workshops.

Warwick is probably best on paper, as you say, but yeah... it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think between the universities you have offers from what will make the biggest difference for your prospects is a) what experience you can gain along the way and b) your final grade (so, does the university your choosing offer modules you like/want to study?).

(if you do have any specific questions about Exeter, or the course, or the course at Exeter - e.g. any modules - feel free to DM me)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GeorgeSweetman
Just finished first year of PPE at Exeter, you will not get bored at all, its no where near as quiet as people make it out to be. Also as a side note, I wouldn't look to much into the rankings as they mean absolutely bugger all, Manchester may be higher in the world rankings, but Exeter is higher in UK rankings, it literally just depends on which one you look at.

Thanks so much for your reply- it's super useful! I think I am firming Exeter tonight actually! :smile:
Original post by MatthewAteYou
I've just graduated at Exeter studying PPE.

I echo a lot of @GeorgeSweetman's points. At no point have I really felt bored with Exeter (and I grew up in London, so am used to a lot busier a city), it's a lot more student-centric than other city universities on your list (which may appeal to you, but equally it may not).

Significantly? Not at all. I would argue that it's a lot better than Manchester for graduate prospects (mix of what I've read online plus anecdotally). I've been able to secure a graduate job, and I know a lot of others that have too. Equally, the university have a really good career service to give out great advice, and they put on great workshops.

Warwick is probably best on paper, as you say, but yeah... it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think between the universities you have offers from what will make the biggest difference for your prospects is a) what experience you can gain along the way and b) your final grade (so, does the university your choosing offer modules you like/want to study?).

(if you do have any specific questions about Exeter, or the course, or the course at Exeter - e.g. any modules - feel free to DM me)

Perfect, thats so useful! I've got a quick question about the course layout so I'll DM you now. Thanks for your response :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, I'm thinking of putting Exeter PPE down. Can you tell me if the economics section of the course is good enough to build on if you want to pursue a post graduate course in Economics? Nottingham/York etc label it quite differently: micro/ macro etc and it does feel like you do study the core economic subjects and the degree is awarded from the Economics department but I can't tell if that's the same at Exeter? I emailed but nobody got back and there was no PPE desk available at the open day because of Covid restrictions but I am making an early application so wondered if you could advise me on that. Loved the place though - it seemed refreshingly unpretentious. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending