ChloeLD-G
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so basically I’ve been to uni already and studied Film. I didn’t have a good time but finished the degree despite this.
I’ve been researching what I would need to apply to Midwifery at UEA. I have a 2:1 but my A-levels aren’t what I need. I’ve just completed a level 2 introduction to caring for children and young people; I also have a 4 month old.
Basically I just want to know what I can do to strengthen my application and chances of getting on to the course.
I’m wanting to also volunteer at the local hospital which I’m hoping will help?
Any advice please? TIA.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a gentle warning - Midwifery is not like a normal Uni degree.
Its essentially an NHS job with training - ie. you will be doing long work placements at all sorts/locations of hospitals and many of these will involve night shifts. Think about how you will manage that and life with a small baby.
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChloeLD-G)
Hi, so basically I’ve been to uni already and studied Film. I didn’t have a good time but finished the degree despite this.
I’ve been researching what I would need to apply to Midwifery at UEA. I have a 2:1 but my A-levels aren’t what I need. I’ve just completed a level 2 introduction to caring for children and young people; I also have a 4 month old.
Basically I just want to know what I can do to strengthen my application and chances of getting on to the course.
Any advice please? TIA.
As post #2 said it ain't like any other degree midwifing as very hard going.
Very competertive in getting a place on it so may not get one still regardless of what you do.
At end of the day you are sole responsible for to get to your placements on time regardless where you sent and university blocks to.
You'll need maths / english and science subject especially biology for midwifing but every university sets out there own requirements for entry to the course.

Can't afford to fall behind as it is hard to catch up with things.

You'll need very good support for childcare first of all.
Then think how long it may take you to get to and from a placement ...!!

Think about your possible shifts you maybe working on placements as some are 5 out of 7 days at majority of hospital in England with you doing ( 6am - 2pm / 2pm - 10pm & nightshifts from 10pm - 6am ) or long shifts of 12.5 / 13 hours but only do 3 out of 7 days a week either dayshifts or nightshifts and weekends to.

If community placement its usually when GP practice opening hours you working but do only Monday to Friday with day of in week plus weekend free but could be asked to do on call at nights alongside your mentor / supervisor but rare.

You'll be In university Monday to Friday, NMC regulations specified that you must do 2300 hours on placements and also 2300 hours on university blocks total of 4600 hours over 3 years or equivalent to 37.5 hours a week for both.

Your best option is volunteering on maternity unit to see how things works.

I'm a registered NHS midwife and its not as easy as people thinks it is.
ChloeLD-G
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I appreciate you guys telling me what I’m in for, and I do recognise that this isn’t going to be easy by any means at all. I’m very aware of how hard it is. I’m also extremely lucky to have an incredible support system around me that can support my career choices and are happy and able to help with childcare when needed.
I’m simply asking what kind of things I’d need to get in. I appreciate that I need maths and English and science which aren’t an issue. But because I spent most of my time working towards my film degree, and my a levels aren’t fabulous or necessarily relevant. But the uni has said they’d encourage an application. I simply want to bolster my chances and if that means taking a few more years to get there and so I get the relevant experience or qualifications then that is what I’ll do.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I simply want to bolster my chances and if that means taking a few more years to get there and so I get the relevant experience or qualifications then that is what I’ll do.
You need to meet the entry requirements for the course in full - including any GCSEs.
You might find an Access to HE course is useful if you don't meet this currently (https://www.distancelearningcentre.c...ing-midwifery/), or something like this HNC -https://www.bathcollege.ac.uk/product/health-care-practice-hnc

You also need 'relevant experience' - this does not have to be Midwifery related, but does need to show that you understand what 'care' means, and you can cope with the reality of a clinical job. Aged Care, Hospice, Special Needs, anything and everything you can get.

You also need to do all the background reading you can - https://midwifediaries.com/blog/midwifery-reading-list is a good place to start.

General info about the job https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/midwife and https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ying-midwifery
Info about degrees etc https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...wifery-courses
Sgood2412
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi hope you’re well Just thought I’d add from a different POV here. I have four children (ages 4-12) and I am starting midwifery this September. I did three years studying with the OU health and social care, then went on to do my math functional skills as didn’t have the grade needed. I also then went on to become a breastfeeding support worker with the ABM (online course and subsequent volunteering) and have just completed my access to health professionals course. I did all this to strengthen my uni application and they were very impressed. This is actually my second time being accepted- my first I had to decline as didn’t meet the requirements but made sure I would this time around! Being organised and having a great support system is key when studying with children. Having people to rely on for school pick ups or childcare, especially when we will be doing shift work and nights etc. Read all about midwifery, every book you can get your hands on and educate yourself on the highs and lows, pros and cons. You need to be aware of everything involved, and make this knowledge known in your interviews and personal statement - ‘I am aware of the potential obstacles I may face etc etc.’ Remain passionate- that is one thing that definitely helped me and the interviewers saw the most. I made it clear that this was 100% what I was going to do and I would try again and again until I succeeded. Good luck- it can be done!
Last edited by Sgood2412; 4 weeks ago
Pebbles-Beth
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 54 minutes ago
Any advice please? TIA.
Hi! I completed a degree in Criminology with Psychology in 2020 (also a 2:1) and I knew from the beginning that it wasn't for me but finished anyway. I knew midwifery was what I really wanted to do, so I dropped emails at local maternity units, hospital apprenticeship departments and midwifery training providers - including UEA. They all told me that despite my degree, I would need to have A-level Biology or the equivalent, including GCSE Maths and English. I ended up committing myself to an Access course and I'm now starting with UEA in September, so I would look into Access courses if I were you! If you're local to UEA, Norwich City College and the College of West Anglia offer access to science and nursing courses and work closely with UEA - providing extra personal statement support and interview practice sessions directly with UEA.
But ask the unis! Tell them your current qualifications and experience and they'll be more than happy to tell you if that would meet their entry requirements. Dropping them an email won't impact your future applications. You could also consider asking them about childcare and if they have any services available for little ones, and definitely look at the NHS Learning Support Fund because it includes parental support grants which could help pay for childcare if they are unable to provide it.
As others have said, it's going to be tough, but it is achievable! Even if you have to take a longer route to get there. Good luck!!

In terms of volunteer and work experience, I have nothing that (at surface level) seems related, but pick out the key skills you have developed from your experiences and how it would link to the skills of a midwife. But volunteering at a hospital will absolutely help your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.48%
Uncertainty around my education (61)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (64)
12.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (69)
13.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.48%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.54%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (56)
10.59%
Financial worries (32)
6.05%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.78%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.24%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.84%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (53)
10.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (44)
8.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed