Uni decisions- Cybersecurity at warwick or Comp Sci at Birmingham/ Loughborough?

Watch
kshsjdjdjsjj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have an offer from Birmingham + Loughborough for Comp Sci with a foundation year. However, I also have a offer from Warwick for Bsc Cybersecurity and i’m unsure which course would provide better job prospects and student experience. Thanks!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Birmingham - beautiful leafy campus - amazing looking buildings - good reputation for all subjects.
Loughborough - great if you like sport.
Warwick - modern campus Uni nowhere near Warwick, good reputation for STEM subjects.
General advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Make your decision today and enter it - you are running out of time.
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Birmingham - beautiful leafy campus - amazing looking buildings - good reputation for all subjects.
Loughborough - great if you like sport.
Warwick - modern campus Uni nowhere near Warwick, good reputation for STEM subjects.
General advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Make your decision today and enter it - you are running out of time.
But the deadline is 23:59 on Thursday?
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
But the deadline is 23:59 on Thursday?
Do not leave it that late - the UCAS website get overwhelmed on the last day and often freezes or crashes.
Why wait until then - just get it done asap.
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kshsjdjdjsjj)
However, I also have a offer from Warwick for Bsc Cybersecurity and i’m unsure which course would provide better job prospects and student experience. Thanks!
As far as job prospects go, it doesn't work like that. While there may be some general trends that X uni tends to be better than Y uni for job prospects, there's no guarantee that you specifically will follow the trend. There's a lot of factors which determine employability options and the uni you attend is only one small part. In reality, picking a uni you enjoy being at, and a course you like doing is going to have a bigger impact. Especially given a lot of job prospects numbers put out by unis are marketing fluff and don't necessarily represent what things are really like. A uni may claim 98% employability, that doesn't mean everyone is in relevant jobs that they enjoy. Focus on things like course content, what you want to get out of uni, etc.

Student experience is somewhat similar. Everyone has a personal preference. You can look at the numbers and reviews, but it might not be right for you. For example, a campus based uni might have a great student experience, but not be right for you if you want a city based uni. Similarly, you may have a preference for which city you actually want to live in for 3+ years. A lot of this boils down to taking on board what others have said, but coming to your own conclusions based on your own research.

Do not leave it that late - the UCAS website get overwhelmed on the last day and often freezes or crashes.
While I completely agree that leaving it to the very last minute is a bad idea, that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be done right this second. There's plenty of time between "ASAP" and "last minute" and I'd instead encourage that OP takes the time to seriously consider their decision rather than rushing it. Especially since they're undecided now.
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have firmed. I did think about that before, I think UCAS recommend 6pm
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kshsjdjdjsjj)
Hi, I have an offer from Birmingham + Loughborough for Comp Sci with a foundation year. However, I also have a offer from Warwick for Bsc Cybersecurity and i’m unsure which course would provide better job prospects and student experience. Thanks!
Hi kshsjdjdjsjj,

Loughborough has an excellent careers service and we hold one of the largest graduate fairs in the UK. We fully support all of our students to secure suitable placements and graduate jobs. In order to improve your job prospects, I believe it's what other skills you develop other than academic that will make you more employable. These are things like getting involved in clubs and societies to develop transferable skills and undertaking a placement or part-time work to develop real-life work experience. You can develop these skills at any university. The student experience is also subjective and I agree with Acsel in that a campus university like ours will not be suitable for someone who wants to be based in a city.

Take a look at what our students have to say and choose a place whose course interests you the most and will help you achieve your career goals.

Good luck
Bindu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads