AdelaideMatthews
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I’ve recently been to visit a uni and I absolutely loved the campus and the area, however it isn’t a Russel group and is lower ranked. I have another offer for University of Manchester, again for Geogeaphy, but I didn’t like the campus as much and didn’t feel comfortable. What should I do?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AdelaideMatthews)
Hi! I’ve recently been to visit a uni and I absolutely loved the campus and the area, however it isn’t a Russel group and is lower ranked. I have another offer for University of Manchester, again for Geogeaphy, but I didn’t like the campus as much and didn’t feel comfortable. What should I do?
Rankings are really irrelevant in careers prospects.

Does reputation & prestige matter? yes & maybe.

university prestige makes a difference in certain hyper competitive industries such as consultancy/investment banking/corporate law... other then this prestige is less important.

Reputation and department connection can be important, generally id say if a department has lots of industry support or links then this can help, but the key here is the reputation and resources of the department NOT the university, you have to dig a little deeper to find this out.

The best thing to do is find people who work where you want to work and see what path they took. And also look at the course specifics and which is more suitable for you.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which Uni is your preferred Uni?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AdelaideMatthews)
Hi Adelaide!
My personal recommendation is that you go for the university you like the most. Although I am a student representative for a Russell group university, I would say somewhat ignore that classification - although all Russell group universities are 'good universities', not all 'good universities' are part of the Russell group (most aren't! - and the term 'good university' is flexible and somewhat problematic anyway (all universities have their strengths!)). And if you are applying for jobs, the term 'Russell group' won't come up. This is your university experience and and feeling comfortable, happy and confident are far more valuable traits to have that belonging to a high ranking university. Just having a degree at the end of the day is hugely employable but there will be lots of other opportunities to boost your 'CV' if you want to do so - through internships, campus work, societies. To put your mind at ease, it may be worth emailing the department of your prospective university to see what sort of jobs graduates tend to go into, and discussing the worries you have. Hope this has helped a little, do feel free to ask any further questions

Amy (4th year student ambassador)
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (38)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (79)
31.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
11.86%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (68)
26.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.19%

Watched Threads