Jacob960
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently trying to decide between the Quads and Polden for my number one choice. Could anyone who knows anything about them give me their advice on either? (Social life, the kinds of people there etc)

Many thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jacob960)
I’m currently trying to decide between the Quads and Polden for my number one choice. Could anyone who knows anything about them give me their advice on either? (Social life, the kinds of people there etc)

Many thanks!
Quads is much more social that Polden from what I have heard, I think thats bc Quads has like a common room shared between 2 flats, so you can mix with more people
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jacob960)

Many thanks!
Hi there my name is Leah and I am a current student at the University of Bath.

Just as a quick comparison:
The Quads is a large, popular but expensive accommodation block. Flats are shared between 8-10 people.. You get a single bed, desk and wardrobe, small TV and an ensuite shower room. The Quads has a benefit of a shared kitchen and an additional social spaces with bean bags and TVs on each floor shared between 2 flats (i.e. between 16-20 people). The social space is a big positive of the Quads and makes the accomodation block pretty social. However, the rooms are some of the smallest on campus. The Quads is that it's part-catered, so you pay some Eat and Drink credit and have some of your food catered, but you cook the rest yourself.

I am assuming when you say Polden, you mean Polden (which is uncatered) rather than Polden Court (which is catered).

Polden is on the far west side of campus, so not great for walking around campus. It is the newest accomodation block. The Polden bedrooms are bigger than the Quads: you get a small double bed, en-suite shower room, storage and a desk. As it is newer I know less about the atmosphere. I believe there are around 8 people per flat and having a look at the photos, Polden has a fairly big kitchen and living space per flat. Due to its location (quiet part of campus) and the fact that it's one of the most expensive accomodation blocks, it may be less lively compared to the Quads. However I do not know any stories of people who have lived there as it is so new.

So with Quads you get more social space, £25 Eat and Drink credit and you are in a slightly more lively part of campus. With Polden, it is not catered, you get a very modern accomodation with a bigger room in a quiet part of campus. It's personal preference really and depends what you are looking for. I would say not to worry too much - your accomodation experience tends to be much more based on who you live with (which you cannot control) and you are also not guaranteed your first choice as en-suite accomodation is very popular.

Do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
Alden18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I have chosen Bath as my firm choice and I have almost chosen my 10 preferred accommodations. However, I had a question. Is eat and drink credit available only with Polden Court, Quads and Brendon Court or can opt for it with any other accommodation too?
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alden18)
Hey! I have chosen Bath as my firm choice and I have almost chosen my 10 preferred accommodations. However, I had a question. Is eat and drink credit available only with Polden Court, Quads and Brendon Court or can opt for it with any other accommodation too?
Hi there,

Eat & Drink credit is only available in the catered accommodations. However, the catering at Bath is a bit different to other universities, so this isn't actually a problem. Instead of having a canteen, Bath has several eateries across campus where you can spend your Eat & Drink credit to buy meals, drinks and snacks. Anyone can go and buy food from these eateries, even if you don't have eat & drink credit - the only difference is that with Eat & Drink credit, you pay money weekly onto your library card, and you pay for food with your library card as opposed to just paying for food with your bank card.

Basically, you can't get Eat & Drink credit with non-catered halls, BUT you can still go and buy the food and eat in the same places if you want to. If anything it's better to not have Eat & Drink credit, as you can pick and choose when you want to buy food or cook for yourself a bit more freely.

I hope this helps,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Alden18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there,

Eat & Drink credit is only available in the catered accommodations. However, the catering at Bath is a bit different to other universities, so this isn't actually a problem. Instead of having a canteen, Bath has several eateries across campus where you can spend your Eat & Drink credit to buy meals, drinks and snacks. Anyone can go and buy food from these eateries, even if you don't have eat & drink credit - the only difference is that with Eat & Drink credit, you pay money weekly onto your library card, and you pay for food with your library card as opposed to just paying for food with your bank card.

Basically, you can't get Eat & Drink credit with non-catered halls, BUT you can still go and buy the food and eat in the same places if you want to. If anything it's better to not have Eat & Drink credit, as you can pick and choose when you want to buy food or cook for yourself a bit more freely.

I hope this helps,
Thank you so much! Helps a lot!
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alden18)
Thank you so much! Helps a lot!
Hi there,

No problem - happy we could help!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads