University of Portsmouth Accommodation 2021

Watch
mmp123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it worth selecting one of the more expensive halls options, or will I be fine in the less expensive ones? Also, how important is it that I select halls that are closest to the uni? I hear the transport links are alright, and I think it might be better for me to live a little further from campus.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mmp123)
Is it worth selecting one of the more expensive halls options, or will I be fine in the less expensive ones? Also, how important is it that I select halls that are closest to the uni? I hear the transport links are alright, and I think it might be better for me to live a little further from campus.
Hi! mmp123

It all depends on personal choice and affordability for halls. You'll find they'll become more expensive if they are newer, double bed, ensuite etc.

I lived in Rosalind Franklin in my first year. I found it to be really good. It's a mid-range hall cost, a tad older, single bed and ensuite.
Social life was good as there are 2 large courtyards and a social room with a pool table and sofas, as well as a study room. Also, some of the flats you could look out and see how long the ques were to one of the main clubs in Portsmouth, so you knew when the best time was to head down and go out.
The room is spacious and lots of storage. The ensuite was a basic washroom, but fitted for purpose and worked well (personally it was just nice to have your own washroom).
it's right next to some uni buildings, so you don't have to walk far. The furthest uni building was a 10-15 minute walk away. The station and other main club is a 5-minute walk away and shops and supermarkets are a 10-minute walk away.
Maintenance was always good. If you log it on the app for the halls they would more or less come and fix the issue the next day. The app was really useful as it notified you when washing machines and tumble dryers were free to use and when your washing was ready, as well as notifying you when you had a parcel to collect.

All self-catered halls are about 10 minutes away from uni buildings, and no more than a 10-minute walk from your hall to the furthest hall from you. This means it doesn't matter what halls you choose regarding being close to uni buildings. They all are a 2-minute walk from the nearest convenience store (coop, little Tesco and Sainsburys), and about 10 minutes walk to the nearest supermarket. There is a bus stop right outside Trafalgar halls and you can get the free uni bus to and from Lidl, a bus which takes a loop around the Southsea area where lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th-year students live. The train station is a 5-minute walk from all halls too.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed