What do you wish you'd known before you started 6th Form?

Watch
chipperpotato
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Any tips for things you wish you'd known before you started A Levels? Thanks!
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Keep your notes organised, make sure to put a date on them and order them in topics
presentseaweed
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Perseverance and consistency is important. Everything will be worthwhile it in the end
Last edited by presentseaweed; 5 months ago
lara147
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by chipperpotato)
Do your notes after every lesson you’ll thank yourself later
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Start making revision notes and cards and stuff super early and doing a bit every week to keep on top of things.
Make sure everything is really well organised in files so you know where you are.
Do a lot of practise papers so you know how to answer the questions as best you can (wish I’d done this lol)
mra1108
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Organisation and ALWAYS revise after school, it's easier that way to memorise things, as there's quite a lot...
Last edited by mra1108; 5 months ago
Zarek
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Time management, study little and often and give yourself rewards. Don’t get distracted by dating set backs which mean nothing in the longer term.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
past papers
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 5 months ago
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I don't know if it was just my school (10+ years ago) but did anyone notice how everyone suddenly matures transitioning from year 11 to year 12? It was the weirdest thing to observe, but everyone actually started acting like young adults. Not really a tip, but an observation I made back then.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I would tell my younger self that it's not as independent as teachers say it is. Funnily enough that was one of my major shocks going into sixth form, that it wasn't that much different to GCSE and demanding "independent work" was often used as an excuse.

That aside, a lot of people find the jump hard but get through it. Perseverance is good. Don't overwork yourself. Not sure if anything I say will be particularly useful because it is highly individual.
Last edited by _gcx; 5 months ago
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
I would tell my younger self that it's not as independent as teachers say it is. Funnily enough that was one of my major shocks going into sixth form, that it wasn't that much different to GCSE and demanding "independent work" was often used as an excuse.

That aside, a lot of people find the jump hard but get through it. Perseverance is good. Don't overwork yourself. Not sure if anything I say will be particularly useful because it is highly individual.
It's like when they say "this will be the most important year for your futures" every year.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
That there would be a world-altering pandemic that would strike the world in March 2020 - and you should print off as much stuff as you can and borrow library books before it starts. Oh, and uh, you should swap Econ for Law or Psych while you can!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
That I shoulda just got a job
kylalee.x
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
DO NOT DO BIOLOGY I REPEAT DO NOT DO BIOLOGY i wish someone told me that
chipperpotato
Rep:
(Original post by kylalee.x)
Oops... a bit late now
chipperpotato
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)

Oh thanks that's really useful to know. I deliberately chose a sixth form that is more structured, not like the one at my current school where people basically do whatever they want...
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
I don't know if it was just my school (10+ years ago) but did anyone notice how everyone suddenly matures transitioning from year 11 to year 12? It was the weirdest thing to observe, but everyone actually started acting like young adults. Not really a tip, but an observation I made back then.
Probably because College is basically a county of education.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by kylalee.x)
Lucky I knew it was the most repetitive, boring subject.
kylalee.x
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Oops... a bit late now
Oops well it’s not HORRIBLE But the mark scheme is so start doing past pepper questions early
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Revise as you go along and understand the content before you memorise it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.63%
Okay (119)
29.38%
A bit lacking (154)
38.02%
Not good at all (93)
22.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise