Sq-ish-y
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone- I just wanted to ask if Spanish Ab Initio (which is Spanish for complete beginners) can achieve higher than a grade B. I was thinking it is a little like foundation GCSE and I was thinking of doing it- but please do let me know if you know anything about the grading system regarding complete Spanish beginners.
studygirl388
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi - Firstly, it's great that you're considering taking Spanish, even if you're a beginner!

A-Level Spanish is a fairly big jump from GCSE Spanish, even for students who chose to take the higher papers rather than foundation. Do you know the exam board of the Spanish course you're considering?

You are required to have a strong grasp of many grammatical concepts, as well as vocabulary and listening/reading/writing/oral skills in order to get higher than a grade B. GCSE Spanish, particularly foundation level, is quite basic in terms of the content you study compared to that of A-Level. The vocabulary required to pass is not as extensive and you do not need to know grammatical structures that are somewhat difficult to grasp. Depending on your course, A-Level Spanish usually also involves a detailed knowledge of Hispanic cultural aspects and literary works (a book and a film typically). And you must be prepared to read, listen, write and speak about them (by the end of the course at least!).

It is absolutely possible for someone studying ab initio Spanish to accomplish this, but it depends on how hard you're willing to work and how quickly you are able to pick up the language skills. Before taking this course, I would recommend introducing yourself some grammatical rules such as tenses, verb conjugations, noun adjectival agreements and ideally (if you want to push yourself a bit) some idiomatic expressions to fully understand that not all Spanish phrases translate literally, word-for-word into English. There are many basic grammar guides online that you can either purchase if you prefer to work from a book, or there are various websites that explain these grammatical rules (a good one for Spanish is
https://www.lawlessspanish.com). Remember, practice makes perfect. You should just try to focus on your written Spanish first, and try to pronounce the things you write out as you go along. Maybe watch a couple of beginner Spanish videos on YouTube to get a grasp of the pronunciation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, happy to help!
Sq-ish-y
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by studygirl388)
Hi - Firstly, it's great that you're considering taking Spanish, even if you're a beginner!

A-Level Spanish is a fairly big jump from GCSE Spanish, even for students who chose to take the higher papers rather than foundation. Do you know the exam board of the Spanish course you're considering?

You are required to have a strong grasp of many grammatical concepts, as well as vocabulary and listening/reading/writing/oral skills in order to get higher than a grade B. GCSE Spanish, particularly foundation level, is quite basic in terms of the content you study compared to that of A-Level. The vocabulary required to pass is not as extensive and you do not need to know grammatical structures that are somewhat difficult to grasp. Depending on your course, A-Level Spanish usually also involves a detailed knowledge of Hispanic cultural aspects and literary works (a book and a film typically). And you must be prepared to read, listen, write and speak about them (by the end of the course at least!).

It is absolutely possible for someone studying ab initio Spanish to accomplish this, but it depends on how hard you're willing to work and how quickly you are able to pick up the language skills. Before taking this course, I would recommend introducing yourself some grammatical rules such as tenses, verb conjugations, noun adjectival agreements and ideally (if you want to push yourself a bit) some idiomatic expressions to fully understand that not all Spanish phrases translate literally, word-for-word into English. There are many basic grammar guides online that you can either purchase if you prefer to work from a book, or there are various websites that explain these grammatical rules (a good one for Spanish is
https://www.lawlessspanish.com). Remember, practice makes perfect. You should just try to focus on your written Spanish first, and try to pronounce the things you write out as you go along. Maybe watch a couple of beginner Spanish videos on YouTube to get a grasp of the pronunciation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, happy to help!
Thank you so much for the reply!, I was actually going to ask how to get started on introducing myself to the Spanish language by myself please- I've only ever studied French so I'm not too familiar with any other linguistic knowledge haha
studygirl388
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sq-ish-y)
Thank you so much for the reply!, I was actually going to ask how to get started on introducing myself to the Spanish language by myself please- I've only ever studied French so I'm not too familiar with any other linguistic knowledge haha
The fact you've studied French will be quite beneficial as there are many structures and vocabulary words that are similar in French and Spanish, so it should make some things easier to remember.
If it were me, I'd focus on grammar first whilst introducing some basic vocabulary. Grammar guides will help you with this, as I've mentioned above.
If you have any questions or get stuck with anything you're trying to learn, let me know and I can help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.36%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
45.53%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.41%
I'm really nervous (46)
18.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed