The Student Room Group

Disliking the person you have become?

Do any of you actually dislike yourself/the immoral choices you've made?

I'm not talking self-pity or depression, more like a neutral feeling of "yeah I am a bad person on balance."

I definetly feel this at times and its a strange feeling to have, the positive side is that we are self-aware of our bad choices and can learn to better ourselves.

Its the bad people with no self-awareness that are in the mud.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Dontknow698
Do any of you actually dislike yourself/the immoral choices you've made?

I'm not talking self-pity or depression, more like a neutral feeling of "yeah I am a bad person on balance."

I definetly feel this at times and its a strange feeling to have, the positive side is that we are self-aware of our bad choices and can learn to better ourselves.

Its the bad people with no self-awareness that are in the mud.

Great question. Yes I dislike the person I become. I don't have the ability to change for the better now. But yes it's difficult looking into the mirror to be honest.
Even now I will pick online fights with people I will never meet. When I should be looking for people who need help.
I will be dead soon but I do wish I had lived a nicer person for sure.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wazza778
Great question. Yes I dislike the person I become. I don't have the ability to change for the better now. But yes it's difficult looking into the mirror to be honest.
Even now I will pick online fights with people I will never meet. When I should be looking for people who need help.

There are certian behaviours I always feel bad for doing, yet struggle to stop doing it.

Doing the bad things feels easier than doing the good actions.
Original post by Dontknow698
There are certian behaviours I always feel bad for doing, yet struggle to stop doing it.

Doing the bad things feels easier than doing the good actions.

I wouldn't say personally the bad way felt better. I think it was just who I was. You cannot have a hero without a villain.
I don't think I'm a bad person, though there are some isolated incidents I feel guilty about. I try to act with moral consistency and examine my actions. What I do regret and keep regretting is spreading misery and bringing people down. I've always got to see the negative in things and this rubs off on people. I find it hard to stop, particularly over the last few years. I need to just bite my tongue if I'm not going to say anything positive.
Original post by chlamydia9000
I don't think I'm a bad person, though there are some isolated incidents I feel guilty about. I try to act with moral consistency and examine my actions. What I do regret and keep regretting is spreading misery and bringing people down. I've always got to see the negative in things and this rubs off on people. I find it hard to stop, particularly over the last few years. I need to just bite my tongue if I'm not going to say anything positive.

The fact you feel bad says more than your actions. You could say a passive remark and the person may feel nothing really. You then beat yourself up about it and do more damage to you.
You could also make a nice remark and still the person does not care, but you will feel better than you would if you had not been nasty or said nothing.
Depends on who you want to be.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest