The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton

Southampton vs Durham

Hello!!! I am really struggling to understand whether I have made the right decision or not… I was just wondering if I could have an opinion!

Durham - higher ranked university, but doesn’t give much information about the course (education) so would go into it without a clue of what I’m getting into. Smaller area and very pretty.

Southampton- education course has so much more detail on the website, I think I would like it more (although I don’t know much information at all about Durhams so can’t really compare). Feels like there would be more diversity within students, and I really liked the look of Hide Bede accommodation when I saw it. Other than that, I thought the area didn’t look pretty at all, which I really think I’d struggle with, because I’m not sure id want to live in somewhere like that for three years!! Looked like there was much more going on compared to Durham within student events.

I’d really really appreciate any help that could be given!
I wouldn’t ask this question unless you could change decision. Chances are you’ll get both opinions in this forum and you’ll just end up feeling even more confused. Worse, someone will convince you the other Uni was better and you wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. I’m sure you’d thrive at either Uni. I visited both on open days and thought they were both excellent Unis. Don’t panic over a decision you can’t do anything to change. (Also a good tip for essays, never reread it after it’s been submitted when you can’t change it, you’ll only end up feeling worse about it. Wait till you have feedback before you look at it again).

Hope this was of some help
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Original post by Anonymous
Durham - higher ranked university, but doesn’t give much information about the course (education) so would go into it without a clue of what I’m getting into.

Hi, unfortunately I don't know about education studies but for my course, econ, they give a lot of information. Have you checked the handbook for your course (hopefully I'm attaching the right handbook for your course) Also if you click on the course code, like EDUC1461, you can see the topics in the module, how many contact hour you have, and also how they are going to mark it
PS if it's the wrong handbook you can find all of them on Durham website, just search Durham handbook on google
(edited 2 years ago)
@04MR17 might have some ideas on what to look for in an education studies course?
If the only reason that you have picked Durham is because of ranking (doesn’t matter for education courses) and one place to live then I would suggest that you switch to Southampton.
Original post by PQ
If the only reason that you have picked Durham is because of ranking (doesn’t matter for education courses) and one place to live then I would suggest that you switch to Southampton.

Agreed. Many people make the mistake of picking a uni for its ranking over the one they’d actually prefer. Southampton is still a very good Uni. It has good transport links too. The main issue with going somewhere small like Durham is that the connections aren’t as good to go elsewhere (still possible but harder) so you’ll be based heavily in a college. If you don’t get on with the people in your college then you’re pretty much screwed for 3 years. I have 2 friends at Durham, 1 loves it and 1 absolutely hates the area and college but loves their course. I only know 1 person at Southampton but I know that they are enjoying their course and the uni itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending