Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all, i'm hopefully going to Hull next year to study economics, i've sent off my UCAS just waiting to hear from unis, but i'm seriously confused by Hull's details when it comes to accommodation, and a bit worried because a lot of other Uni's give far more information (mainly cos they seem to have a lot more en suite rooms and no shared rooms)

Ideally, i want en suite, but its more important to me that im NOT sharing a bedroom (only child, the idea is completely screwed to me).

So, as i understand it (ignoring Taylor Court) the lawns is the only place that has en suite rooms - fine by me, i like the sound of the lawns lol.

Now, the halls themselves: on the accommodation page it says that Reckitt Hall is the only hall with en suite rooms, however on the fees page, under single en suite room it says "Reckitt (Block D), Grant (Blocks A&E)"

so just a few questions if anyone can help me out:

- Is Reckitt the only hall with en suite rooms?

- Anyone know of a good way to avoid sharing rooms?

- When can you apply for accommodation?

- if you dont have en suite, are the shared bathrooms like proper bathrooms or is like a communal bathroom like u get at swimming pools (gross)

- When you apply and they send you a contract, does the contract only specify the hall, or does it specify the room type as well. i.e. contract says Reckitt Hall (could be en suite, could be shared), or does it specify that you've been allocated a single en suite room in Reckitt?

ohh, and one last thing, hows parking at the lawns? are there usually enough spaces/plenty of parking nearby? I'm from Kent and due to work i'm probably going to be based across several shops in Hull itself, so a car is kind of a necessity.

thanks for your help,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want a shared room you could apply to Ferens because there are no shared rooms at all. The thing about Ferens is that it's the only halls at the Lawns with no individual sink in each room, although the rooms are really big.

The shared bathrooms are not like swimming pool ones. I can't say what they are like in the other halls but in mine (Ferens) there is one bathroom per landing that you share between about 5 people. There are 2 sinks, a toilet in it's own area with a locking door, and a shower room also with a locking door.

You apply for accomodation when you have accepted Hull as with your firm or insurance choice. In around May they send you a form to fill out. You put 3 choices for what you want, fill in some info about yourself like whether you think you are a tidy person or not, you get up early etc (but I really don't think they take this into account). At the end you can write down any preferences you have, so write that you would prefer to have en suite and not to share a room.

Just remember that if you don't get the accommodation you want it's not the end of the world. I didn't, but I love it now. It's mostly the people you are with who make it worthwhile so in the end you won't really care if the facilities are **** or not.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info, when can i choose my firm and insurance offers? as soon as the offers are made presumably?

So when you accept them as your firm offer you can apply for accommodation, but you can only actually choose the accommodation around May? So initially is it just telling them that you want accommodation at all?

ReputationRep:
    You can choose your firm and insurance once you have had an offer (or rejection) from every single university you have applied to. This can take as long as sevaral months. Then, if you have put Hull as either your firm or insurance, you wait for them to send you the forms so that you can tell them what you want.

ReputationRep:
    thats great, unless Loughborough decide to be extremely generous with their offer Hull is definetly my firm choice, only other uni i applied for is Kent, and i go to college in Canterbury not far from the campus lol, couldnt stand another 3 years of that!

thanks Cat

(anyone considering Kents Canterbury campus dont be put off by what ive just said, Canterburys really nice, just this is my 3rd year there at college, and i work there lol)

ReputationRep:
    Most of the Lawns is different to Ferens btw - At least in Reckitt you get a sink in each room and the shower/loo's are in seperate lockable rooms.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started at Hull so might be able to help you! Don't know much about the Lawns but I would higly recomend Thwaite Hall! Ok so no ensuite but the rooms are all a good size recently refurbished and all with a sink and no sharing! The bathrooms are always clean, I've never had to wait around for a shower cos there's a queue and normally theres never anyone in there! Also Thwaite Hall has the most gorgeous grounds with a lake and is the only hall which organises events for its residence including its own freshers week! If you have any questions about hull and the uni feel free to ask =D

ReputationRep:
    Would strongly reccomend the lawns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by item54)
    so just a few questions if anyone can help me out:

- Is Reckitt the only hall with en suite rooms?

- Anyone know of a good way to avoid sharing rooms?

- When can you apply for accommodation?

- if you dont have en suite, are the shared bathrooms like proper bathrooms or is like a communal bathroom like u get at swimming pools (gross)

- When you apply and they send you a contract, does the contract only specify the hall, or does it specify the room type as well. i.e. contract says Reckitt Hall (could be en suite, could be shared), or does it specify that you've been allocated a single en suite room in Reckitt?

ohh, and one last thing, hows parking at the lawns? are there usually enough spaces/plenty of parking nearby?
    Chris
    heeey

As far as I know, Reckitt is the only one with en-suite rooms. However, I'm in shared-bathroom accommodation and there are two bathrooms with showers between eight people, so there's never a queue Also (I'm in Morgan, by the way) as there are three floors, even if the showers on one floor were taken, which hasn't happened so far, there are always showers on the other floors free you have a sink in your room anyway, so you don't have to brush your teeth/wash your face or anything with hoards of people watching you

On the accommodation form you're given there will be a box for additional requirements or something, where you can state that you don't want to share a room. Alternatively, pick a hall like Morgan, Ferens or Thwaite, where all rooms are single

You apply for accommodation around June, I think... something like that. Before you get your results anyway. I'm not sure about the contract thing though. On mine it just said 'Morgan Hall', nothing about being single or which room, but as I said all rooms are single so I guess they wouldn't say anythinng about it. I would think that they would tell you if you were sharing, but if you weren't sure, you can always ring up the accommodation office and they'd tell you

The bathrooms in Morgan are really nice. I heard the kitchens and bathrooms were renovated a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's true but it looks like it They're always clean, with a big sink, power shower and toilet, and as I said before, there are two to a floor. And it's all white and shiny! They all have lockable doors and are cleaned once a week.

There are loooooads of parking spaces at the Lawns, so you shouldn't have any trouble You do have to get a permit, but that's really easy when you get here. You do it all online so you don't have to fill out any paperwork! However, if you were tempted not to take your car, you can get a bus pass for around £200 a year (but you can pay it in two intallments if it's easier), which will take you the route through Cottingham to uni and onto Hull City Centre, so if you think you're not going to be awake/sober enough for a 9:15 lecture there's always that option too

Hope that helps If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them Good luck with your application

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polkadotsox)
    heeey

As far as I know, Reckitt is the only one with en-suite rooms. However, I'm in shared-bathroom accommodation and there are two bathrooms with showers between eight people, so there's never a queue Also (I'm in Morgan, by the way) as there are three floors, even if the showers on one floor were taken, which hasn't happened so far, there are always showers on the other floors free you have a sink in your room anyway, so you don't have to brush your teeth/wash your face or anything with hoards of people watching you

On the accommodation form you're given there will be a box for additional requirements or something, where you can state that you don't want to share a room. Alternatively, pick a hall like Morgan, Ferens or Thwaite, where all rooms are single

You apply for accommodation around June, I think... something like that. Before you get your results anyway. I'm not sure about the contract thing though. On mine it just said 'Morgan Hall', nothing about being single or which room, but as I said all rooms are single so I guess they wouldn't say anythinng about it. I would think that they would tell you if you were sharing, but if you weren't sure, you can always ring up the accommodation office and they'd tell you

The bathrooms in Morgan are really nice. I heard the kitchens and bathrooms were renovated a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's true but it looks like it They're always clean, with a big sink, power shower and toilet, and as I said before, there are two to a floor. And it's all white and shiny! They all have lockable doors and are cleaned once a week.

There are loooooads of parking spaces at the Lawns, so you shouldn't have any trouble You do have to get a permit, but that's really easy when you get here. You do it all online so you don't have to fill out any paperwork! However, if you were tempted not to take your car, you can get a bus pass for around £200 a year (but you can pay it in two intallments if it's easier), which will take you the route through Cottingham to uni and onto Hull City Centre, so if you think you're not going to be awake/sober enough for a 9:15 lecture there's always that option too

Hope that helps If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them Good luck with your application

xx
    Which block are you in? My mum cleans in Morgan I'm curious!
    Also they upgrade work every year so you may find there is more choice, once they have decided what to spend their money on,

ReputationRep:
    Just come to Thwaite! It's expesnive but it's so worth it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.