The Student Room Group

Can I get into fashion school if I don't have A-level art?

Hi,
I don't have A-level or GCSE art but I have a great portfolio of creative work including sketches, clothing that I have sewn and sourced fabric for myself and an overall good knowledge of the fashion industry despite not actually taking an art or design subject. Even if I have the same skills if not better (because I have been focussing all my time on the fashion aspect of art and not fine art such as painting or anything like that) as those that took art or design, will I still be at a disadvantage when applying to competitive fashion schools such as LCF.
Thanks 😊
Original post by Joshuah0123
Hi,
I don't have A-level or GCSE art but I have a great portfolio of creative work including sketches, clothing that I have sewn and sourced fabric for myself and an overall good knowledge of the fashion industry despite not actually taking an art or design subject. Even if I have the same skills if not better (because I have been focussing all my time on the fashion aspect of art and not fine art such as painting or anything like that) as those that took art or design, will I still be at a disadvantage when applying to competitive fashion schools such as LCF.
Thanks 😊

Hi @Joshuah0123

You could apply for a Foundation Art and Design course as long as you have an A level qualification (this does not necessarily need to be in art or design), and if you have a portfolio of work. If you're applying directly to a degree level course, you need to check the entry requirements as most of our practice-based courses do require a Foundation or equivalent qualification as well as a portfolio. Students who have developed their creative practice within a taught environment benefit from guidance and support from tutors, constructive criticism to develop their work, and a broader understanding of the history and theory of the industry so they are more likely to be successful in their application.

I would also add that LCF and CSM, our two colleges that offer Fashion Design are both highly competitive so if you are unsuccessful in an application either to their degree courses or our foundation course, you might also consider short courses that are specifically designed to help you improve and develop your portfolio for application.

If you want to make further enquiries or set up a 1:1 course advice session, you can contact LCF at [email protected].

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest